Monday, January 12, 2015

Well, that was amazing.

Okay, this is not really what I was going to write about, but just a little while ago I was looking out my bay window as the yard and lawn debris truck pull up to my container and stopped.

First I was amazed that he came around so late in the day because normally the loudness of his truck wakes me long before dawn, as he rumbles first up and then down the street.  As a result, when I went to the mailbox (mid-morning) to bring in my newly delivered mail, I was quite surprised to see my recycle bin was still full.  Long deceased, Queen Anne's lace stems with seeds were still sticking out between the sides and the top of the bin.  My first thought was the truck probably had mechanical problems, and was running late.  That does happen sometimes.

Eventually I saw the truck go up the street and it took quite some time before I heard and then saw it come back into view.  Yes, I'm nosy, I could not help but go to the window to watch him take my yard debris away.

Hmmm, he stopped in front of my driveway, but didn't get out of the truck.  Okay, he was probably talking to somebody on his phone.

No...he was actually studying my bin.  Uh-oh, had I done something wrong?  Was he going to stick some kind of a note to my bin, and simply drive off leaving my yard debris behind? Well, wouldn't that just put a wrinkle in my brow.

Suddenly, the truck shuddered.  And, a bright yellow robot (kinda/sorta) extricated itself from the truck and although securely held to the side of the truck by an arm, it began to wriggle, and giggle itself toward my bin.  As it got closer, a huge pincher (kinda/sorta) reached out, spread apart, and like magic, grabbed my bin and began hoisting it up in the air, yep, my yard debris went up, over and into the back of the truck.

The robot, slowly descended and politely, gently, dropped my yard debris bin at the end of my driveway.

I was agog.  The driver never left the cab of the truck, the robot did all the lifting and heaving.  I'm still having a hard time believing what I saw.  However, I now know why he was late.  Obviously, he is in the process of learning how to use this robot, and it's taking a bit of time to accomplish this task. You go guy who drives the yard debris truck!!!!!!!! Whoop, whoop.

I gotta say, I was totally impressed...or, maybe I need to get a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment