Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Diamonds, Sapphires, Emeralds and Rubies

(Please know, I do spell check on my entries, and proof read them at least twice, however I know mistakes will appear in my blog, sorry...bear with this old woman's ramblings.  Thanks.)

Our brains are the best computers ever, and the only one not made by man.  It is able to take pictures of moments in our life, and immediately record them in our memory photo album.  I have been thinking lately of one such moment and picture, that I see as clearly today as on the night my brain recorded it.

I had recently moved to California, and although I knew I was there to stay, everything at the time was new, fresh, delightful, and exciting.  So it was with my first trip to Las Vegas, but this particular moment happened on the way home on Sunday night.  At the time there were few towns between the edge of the LA basin, and Vegas, so there were miles and miles of freeway, tons of vehicles, and darkness…lots, and lots, and lots of darkness.  There were times it seemed endless, then in one spectacular moment, you crest Kellogg Hill and there….spread out before you is the San Gabriel Valley.

It took my breath away, and I audibly gasped.  I had never in my life seen such beauty.  The whole valley sparkled, twinkled and glistened in millions of jewels.  Dressed in Diamonds, Sapphires, Emeralds and Rubies, town after town, joined together at the hip, made the valley the envy of those of the greatest wealth, because this scene could not be bought by the richest of the rich.  It was free, everyone rich or poor could enjoy the splendor and everyone who came over Kellogg Hill at night got to capture the scene in their memory camera. 

Frankly, I sometimes wish I had a physical picture of that moment in time; although I’m sure I would never drag out a physical album to look at it…much less even remember what album it is in.  So I am content with the picture in my mind, it will be with me until I leave this earth…when I will be able to crest the hill any time I please, and see the gleaming valley below.

No comments:

Post a Comment