Thursday, September 19, 2013

Fried Green Tomatoes

My next door neighbor has a vegetable garden every year.  I'm blessed because she always gives me extras, and I have been told I can pick anything I want at any time.

The other day I noticed lots of ripe tomatoes hanging on the vines and thought I ought to go over and pick a few to make a sandwich...but, of course, I forgot.  Then, yesterday I got to thinking about the seasons changing and how it is the time of year tomatoes stop ripening.  Oh...there have got to be lots of unripe ones there as well.

I love fried green tomatoes.  Lucky me, last evening I happened to be outside when my neighbor returned from work and we chatted for a while.  I happened to mention that I had thought about picking some of her tomatoes for a sandwich, but didn't.

She in turn told me I should certainly do so, any time...especially the green ones.  So, guess what I am going to do today?

I know she has told me I could help myself any time, and I occasionally do, but it is also very nice to hear from her lips it is okay to go in her yard and help myself.  She told me the prune plums were ripe as well and to help myself to some of those as well.
I just might help myself to a few of those today, too, if I can reach them. 

Those of you who check my blog from time to time know how I feel about fruits and vegetables...I don't particularly like them...but, by the same token, there is something about the home grown variety.  Plus, how can a person give up something that's free?  That would be foolish, wouldn't it?

So, later today I'm going to visit my neighbor's garden.  I'm going to pick a couple red, ripe, juicy tomatoes and a few green ones, too.  Then, I'll take a look at the plum tree, and might help myself to a few of them, if they're in reach. 

Ya' all know what I'm having for dinner tonight. 

Yesterday I told you how autumn is my favorite season, by golly, here are two more reasons.  Prune plums and fried green tomatoes.

Oh, and huckleberries...yes in deed-y, plump, juicy, purple huckleberries.



No comments:

Post a Comment