Monday, September 9, 2013

Toot, toot, Nine


Riding the rails

Or

Riding the Rails

Sadly, our cross country excursion is coming to a close, we spent the last leg of this trip relaxing in our temporary home, sipping the favorite drink of our choice, and getting to know each other better. 

We learned that Rosy and Vince are going to travel north, heading for Niagara Falls, where they hope to wed, honeymoon and possibly even settle down.  Of all the people I’ve encountered over all the years of my life, these two delightful folks would be the last I’d have thought would find each other, and of all places in a box car.

Tall Dude, after stating he “ain’t never been to New York.”  seems quite excited to be going there.  Frankly, I think he kind of has a crush on Linda, and she does seem to be particularly fond of him.  He’s a little to old to be her son, and she a little too young to be his mother, but none the less I think they are forming a friendship that will likely last their life time.

As for Marie, I never really imagined her riding the rails, and I think she is surprised at how much fun spontaneity can be.  She seemed to enjoy the cooking, setting up our make-shift meals, and even cleaning up after.   She has lots of things she wants to do, and places she wants to see in the ‘city that never sleeps’, and has been talking about all the things she wants to buy along the way. 

As for me, this is a longtime dream, and if I never sleep while there...well that’s okay with me.  I want to see the Great White Way, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, go to the top of the Empire State Building, see the Chrysler Building, and sit in Central Park.  I want to take in a play or two, have lunch at the Crossroads of America, and have my picture taken with Naked Cowboy.  Who knows, maybe we will even run into Regis and Kelly, or perhaps David Letterman.  Shoot, I may not even want to go home and maybe I won’t.

Well, it won’t be long now...excitement is on the rise.

OH MY GOSH!  We are actually here!  What grand adventures await.  We bade farewell to Rosy and Vince and wished them well.  I hope we all hear from them in the future, at least at Christmas time. 

The rest of us (the bedraggled group we are at the moment) are going to look for a homeless shelter and donate our ‘bindles’ there.   However, the first order of business is to find a pet friendly Hotel and settle in.  Tall Dude, says he probably can’t afford to stay where we are, but will be ready to join us for activities and meals.  Such a sweet guy, he has added much to our trip.  For now I think we all just want a hot shower, and a comfortable bed. 

We have decided to splurge and stay at the Marriott, Court Yard, Time Square South.  With three of us sharing the expenses, (but each for our own pets) we figure for a once in a lifetime experience it will be worth it.  All Linda asks is we save enough money to fly home first class...is she saying she’s done with box car travel?  Well, THAT was fun, but I have to agree, flying home is the only option as far as I’m concerned, too.

I don’t, and won’t have more time to write, but will fill you in on some of the places we have added to our sightseeing adventures.  Tiffany’s (for coffee and a donut, like the movie) Wall Street and the Big Bull, Ground Zero, the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, St. John’s Cathedral, Grand Central Station, Flatiron Building, SoHo, Chelsea, Harlem, and on and on till we drop. 

We will be here till Monday the 25th.  We want to walk 5th Avenue on Easter Morning, and then simply hang out around Time Square the rest of the day.  Maybe eat at Friday’s, and wave to people back home from the camera located there. 

Exactly where Tall Dude will land after this week is over is still up in the air, although I’m sure he knows he will always welcome in Oregon or California.  I’m sure he could find work either place.  Regardless he will always have a special place in our hearts.

Well, I’ve got to go.  Hope you enjoyed our adventure Riding the Rails.  Bye, bye.

 
                         The end           
                           (The End)


All the places I mentioned within are real places I found while exploring the Internet.  They are intended to be shown in the best light, with the hope that given the opportunity anyone reading this story will stop by and visit these places themselves.  I learned a lot, and had great fun exploring the country from...my boxcar.

Published by:   Gues Who Original Publications
                         3922 SW Comus Street
                         Portland, OR 97219-7422

First edition, May 2011

With grateful appreciation to my sister Linda and dear friend Marie in allowing me to use their likenesses in our imaginary trip across America, Toot, toot.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment