Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Fog

According to Dictionary.com this is the definition for the word-
"fog   [fog, fawg] 

noun
1.
a cloud-like mass or layer of minute water droplets or ice crystals near the surface of the earth, appreciably reducing visibility. "
 
Today in my city, the main weather topic was fog.  In some areas it was very, very
bad.  Schools are running late, in some cases the districts have decided to close
instead.  Because the weather conditions have been bitterly cold for over a week, this morning's fog has called for icy conditions in a four county area.  Bad fog, bad, bad fog.
 
Reality is most people don't like fog.  It causes accidents, closes schools, makes people slip, slide and take nasty falls, and generally makes people frightened.  Yes, thanks to horror movies who's staple is having awful things happen to people in the misty, wispy, stuff; often in the dark, fog terrifies some folks.
 
I'm frightened of many things myself.  Water, bridges, Halloween, and falling for examples.  However, fog does not cause me to be fearful. 
 
Fact it, I like the mysteriousness of it.  I enjoy seeing it envelop and blanket the tops of the Douglas Firs of my neighborhood.  There is something magical about the scene.  I especially like when it reaches the ground, so that I cannot see beyond the houses and trees across the street and everything is in various shades of silhouette.  I'm fascinated how quiet the atmosphere gets, I can't hear the freeway traffic, but I can hear the 'plops' of huge water drops as they occasionally fall from eaves of houses to the ground.
 
But, what I love most about fog is that I get to walk in the clouds, and I'm enveloped in that heavenly blanket.  It's mysterious, mystical, and oh, so comforting.  Have you ever gone for a walk in the fog?  Not those instances when you dash from your car to the mall front door, I mean, walking in the fog just for the sake of walking in the fog?  I'm betting you never have.
 
I'm telling you, it is a beautiful, glorious adventure.  Suddenly you are in your own tiny world, its boundaries the distance of the only things you visually see.  Gone are the cares of the un-fogged world, do they even exist?  Maybe not.  For the moment, it's just you, your dogs, your puffs of steamy breath, and the crunch of icy ground beneath your feet.
 
I have a picture on a cemetery in fog, it's one of my favorites.  In the picture, the trees are barren of leaf, and the darkest part of the picture, while the tomb stones are various shades of grey.  The scene is soft, quiet, peaceful.  One day I found an inscription that fits the scene to perfection and I've added beneath the picture.  It says "Once in a while everyone should take a walk through a cemetery, softly."  I love that.  I've never had the opportunity to do that, yet every time I look at that picture, I'm mentally transported there.
 
So, you see, I have no fear of fog, because, God in his glory has given me a cloud.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment