Monday, December 2, 2013

Left-overs

I have a confession to make.

My Thanksgiving feast was delicious.  Yeah, this year I forgot to buy a cornbread stuffing mix, surprisingly I got along fine without it.  Everything else was fantastic.  I did as I was told from my Yahoo News Feed and ate breakfast, because that would 'tide me over' until it was time for dinner...and...I would not feel the need to 'stuff myself' at meal time.

By golly that worked.

What I did discover however, is, I liked Friday's left-overs better than the feast.  No joke!  Friday morning I fixed myself something called a "Norman Rockwell" sandwich.  If you've never had on you should give it a try.

The first "Norman Rockwell" I ever had I bought at the food court in my city center mall, at a sandwich shop that sold nothing but sandwiches made with turkey.  In it were tomatoes, lettuce, turkey, cranberry sauce, and cheese with the bread slathered with mayonnaise.   Deee-lic-ious.  For several years I would buy one of these sandwiches, sit in the food court and participate in one of my favorite activities,   people watching.

Then, one day my turkey sandwich place disappeared.  So, I began the ritual of fixing myself a "Norman Rockwell" at home.  And, that's what I had for breakfast Friday morning, minus the lettuce, which I also forgot to purchase.  The missing lettuce didn't matter, the sandwich was great.  The tomato was quite juicy, it dripped out of the edge of the sandwich and into the palm of my hand.  In a very unladylike fashion, I took to licking the juice off my hand. Mmmmmm.  On the side I had some potato chips, the kind with sea salt and vinegar.  Now you had to admit that's a dang good breakfast.

So, over the last couple of days, I've been munching left-overs (thank you microwave oven).  Just about everything is gone.  A smidgen of cranberry sauce, and a few mashed potatoes are left, but there's no more gravy.  As a result, this evening I'm going to mix them with a little flour and egg and make myself some potato pancakes, cranberry sauce for a side.  The perfect way to put my Thanksgiving feast to bed.

Wow, can't wait for my Christmas feast and all those wonderful, wonderful left-over meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment