Sunday, February 7, 2016

Human nature.

I've found human nature to be both funny (Ha Ha) and funny (Peculiar).  For instance this week I got to thinking about early morning phone calls. Human nature being what it is you just know when you phone rings at 4:30 in the morning you are going to be getting bad news.  When is the last time you got good news at 4:30 AM? That's human nature in a very peculiar way. 

Early in the week a very dear friend called me to tell me about how her husband had taken a bad fall. We talked at great length and when we were through, I promised myself I would call her back in a few days to see how things were going.  Shamefully, all week I thought about calling her and even walk right past the phone with some other 'important' thing to do first, telling myself as soon as the 'important' thing was done I would pick up the phone and call her.

That simply didn't happen.

Last night, just as dusk was setting in I finally picked up the phone and let 'speed dial' ring up her number.  Of course just about everyone has caller I-D, so she knew it was me.  Since I seldom call her because of her busy schedule, and on the few times I have it has always been during the day she thought it odd I was calling.  And human nature being what it is; the first thing she wondered and then asked me was "Who died?" 

Now, I thought that was human nature's 'funny peculiar' way for her to react, but I'm sure had she called me I would have immediately thought she was going to deliver some sort of bad news to me.  

Human nature is indeed a peculiar thing.

I meekly had to tell her she had been on my mind all week, but my human nature had acted naturally and allowed me to procrastinate all week before (actually, physically, putting out effort) picking up the phone and calling.  Shame, shame on me.  However, if we were all being honest, I think we would have to confess we are all procrastinators, not just when it comes to returning phone calls but about a lot of other things in our lives as well.  

Perhaps procrastination is the mother of human nature.  If we can think of a way to get out of doing what we should 'human nature' will probably provide us a way.  I wish I could tell you I am going to change my ways but I know that's not going to happen, damn you human nature...damn you.  

So, pick up that phone, call somebody and (for heaven's sake) don't wait until they are wondering "Who died?"

No comments:

Post a Comment