Friday, February 26, 2016

Remember Muu-Muus?

I love catalogs...all kinds of catalogs...most everything I purchase comes from catalogs.  Oh, I order from the companies on-line, but my favorite thing about going to my mailbox is knowing there will be a catalog inside.

Lately I've noticed several of them are selling Muu-Muus.  Do YOU remember Muu-Muus? Dang! Some of them are really pretty. There are paisleys, floral's, prints and bright patterns.  Some have pockets, some zip-up while others have buttons; but the kind I like the most are simple with a scoop neck and are full and flowing across the bottom.  You simply throw them over your head in the morning and you're good to go.

The other day I was sitting in my favorite spot, going through catalogs and turning down corners of pages that had (what I thought) were some pretty adorable Muu-Muus.

Enter Frankie:

Frankie: (Flopping on the sofa beside me.)  "So, what's ya' doin'?"
Me: (Hurrying to turn the page.) "Nothing, just looking through catalogs."
Frankie: (Picking up a discarded catalog.)  "It appears to me you're contemplating a purchase or two, what's with the turned down corners."
Me:  (In my head).)  "Crap...dang it."
Frankie:  "What's this?  100 percent cotton.  Perfect summer attire. Cool.  Easy care.  Floral patterns in bright cheerful colors."

Frankie draws in a deep breath, and out comes a burst of laughter.

Again, I think "crap".

Frankie, (After she's finally able to breathe again):  "Mooooooo, Mooooooos!!!!! You're thinking about buying Moooooooo, Moooooooos?"
Me:  "Matter of fact yes. Let's not make a big deal out of this."
Frankie:  "You kidding me, of course I'm going to make a big deal out of this...now, if we lived in Hawaii I could see you wanting to buy "Muu-Muus.  But that's ridiculous for where we actually live."
Me:  "Why?  Don't you think I'm just a tad too old to be running around in shorts during the summer, what with my skin all crape-papery and saggy?  I want to still be cool, but just not so...so...revealing.
I think Muu-Muus just might be a perfect fashion statement."

Frankie is trying hard to maintain composure while I begin to show her some of the options I've been considering. I point out they are not all that expensive ranging from about $15 to $29 and if I bought let's say six of them even at thirty bucks a piece I would be saving quite a bit of money; compared to buying six sets of longer length shorts and matching tops.  Frankie was neither impressed nor accepting.  I was beginning to think I was not going to win this battle.

Frankie:  "Think about this...what happens if it's a windy day and you want to work outside?"
Me: "I'll hold the Muu-Muu down so it won't blow up or squish the bottom between my knees."
Frankie:  "And, when you bend over, are folks going to see your...'er...underwear?
Me:  "I think they'll be long enough that won't be a problem...and, my undies are clean and paid for, 'whoever' won't be lookin' at holes and stuff."

Frankie shakes her head in disbelief.  I think she's wishing Muse was around, little does she know that Muse and I are on pretty good terms at the moment and I THINK there's a good chance that Muse would side with me.  Frankie turns another page, and there smack dab in the upper left hand corner is another colorful clothing ad.  This time it's not Muu-Muus, but...

Pedal Pushers!!!!!!

Frankie puts the catalog as close to my nose as she can and announces, "See this, see this...I would rather you buy Pedal Pushers than Muu-Muus, They'll cover up all those spots you don't want the world to see. They'll be cool, too.  I like Pedal Pushers, buy those."

I hate Pedal Pushers, I'm short, really, really short, I don't have the body for Pedal Pushers.

So, the battle raged for quite some time.  Frankie animate she does not like Muu-Muus and that eventually I would not wear them while I was just as animate I would never, never buy Pedal Pushers and that yes I would wear Muu-Muus.  It was a stalemate.  Frankie slunk off pouting.

I, on the other hand returned to my catalogs.

Enter Muse:

Muse:  (Flopping on the sofa beside me.)  "So, what's ya' doin'?"
Me:  (Hurrying to turn the page.)  "Nothing, just looking through catalogs."

...
....
.....
......

Muse:  Baaaaaaaaa, haaaaaaaaaa, haaaaaaaaaaa!

Sigh.




2 comments:

  1. Hi! Just read your notes from Feb. 14th to the 26th. My comments: There must have been a lot of giggling going on with your grandchildren. Those are the times that they will remember. I remember there used to be a lot of giggling on the third floor of Fatima Hall many years ago. I am a listener but also like to talk. Sometimes I should learn to keep my mouth shut and listen.
    Now about those Muu Muus, I had several of them. Wore them everyday, easy care, wash, dry and wear. And comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were the days, My friend....we thought they'd never end. We were sooo young. Regardless what Frankie and Muse think and how much they laugh, I'm going to buy myself some Muu-Muus. They are so pretty, I can't resist.

      Delete