Saturday, April 19, 2014

What to do, what to do

Okay, it's a normal Saturday.  I'm in my scrounges, doing laundry, I'm in the garage, lookin' around.  Earlier in the week I moved some stuff around out there, and moved a small yellow storage cabinet out onto the patio.  It has summer patio stuff stored in it and I figure later this summer I will paint it, the same orange color as the trim on my house put feet under it to get it off the concrete, and make it a permanent outside year-round piece of furniture.  It's all good.

So, this morning 'lookin' round the garage, I see all this open space in my personally constructed cardboard laundry room.

Hmmm, I says to myself, hmmm.  What can I do with this open space.  I know, I'll build some free standing shelves.  I've always saved bits of leftover lumber from construction projects and figure I've got to have some pieces that will work to make shelves.  Oh, I do, I DO. 

And, so construction began with a top and the two sides.   Yeah, yeah, I whacked my thumb a few times...well...maybe more than that and I broke my right hand thumbnail.

It's all good, it's all good, I didn't need that nail anyway...but I have to confess the thumb its self is not looking very good either.  There was a lot of 'damnin' and
's--tin', going on.  But I persevered.  I added a middle shelf.  It's leans a tiny bit, but not enough stuff rolls off of it.  I wasn't sure about making a bottom shelf, because you never know when your washer is going to go 'belly up" and you have an indoor swimming pool.  However, I discovered my beautiful shelf wobbled quite a bit, and it is after all top heavy, so I knew I had to at least put a brace across the bottom for stability.  Which I did.

Oh, my poor thumb.  It's not black and blue yet but typing is making it hurt like a son of a gun.  I'm telling ya' I'm not cut out for this kind of job.  The brace is working(somewhat) but not good...really.  Mostly because I ran out of lumber...Although I know there is a garden stake in my garage somewhere...cause I just put it there yesterday...and it would work great...but I can't find the darn thing.

So, as I say the brace sways, because I had to use three small piece of lumber to go across the bottom of the shelves, and I know that missing stake is just the right size to hold the three pieces together.  But, since that has disappeared I used left-over pieces of cork, from an old bulletin board as the brace.  Yeah, yeah, have yourself a good laugh...I did too.  If the shelf does not fall over I know I will eventually find the stake and use that instead of the cork, it's all good, it's all good.

Here's the best part...just like my dad and my husband, they built things to last and last and last.  Same thing holds true for me and my brand new shelving.  By the time I was done I could hardly stand it up it weighs so much.  I sincerely hope if it does fall over, my darling dog and cat are not under it.

But, no worries, it's good, it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment