Tuesday, April 29, 2014

This, that and the other thing

THIS

Well, talk about a surprise.  Last night I was watching The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson, and he began the show by telling us he is going to leave the show in December.  What????  The most quirky, non-follow the script, you never know what is going to come out of his mouth Craig Ferguson is leaving The Late, Late Show.  I was shocked.

I was devastated.

I was sad.

He says he is leaving by his own choice, has not been fired, and after ten years he simply feels he need to do something else...even though he does not know exactly what that will be.  And, he asked we not send nasty letters to the network, and not to believe what we hear and see and read in the tabloids and the various medias.

I will be sad to see him and his cohorts go.  If you've never seen the show he has and almost imaginary friend (a skeleton named Geoff) with whom he banters, and a horse named Secretariat, with whom he plays soccer.  There is an imaginary band who is so shy they refuse to come out from behind the red curtain, although occasionally a plastic hand will appear and wave at the audience.  It's a silly, silly show, which makes it so endearing to me.  I love silly.

His guests never know what will be talked about, because as soon as he and the guest sit down, Craig immediately tears up the cheat, crib cards, and they wing it from there.  Oh, it's always been such fun.  I miss him already even though he promises 'quality, first class shows till Christmas' until he leaves.  Yeah, right.

THAT

You all know I ordered groceries last week, when I did I ordered a couple of cans of evaporated milk. Normally this is an item I seldom even think about, much less have on hand.  (Usually this kind of milk is called for in recipes, but since I don't cook, I don't need it.)  Anyway, quite a while back I decided I was hungry for ice cream, and I made some by throwing together reconstituted powdered milk, some fruit, some chopped up cookies, and some fruit flavored pancake syrup.  Believe it or not, it was not bad.  It was kind of icy, rather than creamy, but very tasty, kind of like a sorbet.

Time went by, and I once more got a 'hankering' for ice cream and that's why I ordered the evaporated milk. Having learned the reconstituted powdered milk was so watery, I knew there had to be a better liquid, real, honest to goodness milk.

As a result, last evening, I began collecting the items necessary for ice cream.  For the first, I used lemon flavored, cream-filled cookies, a can of peaches (with syrup) a handful of shredded coconut and a can of milk.  I crumbled and soaked the cookies in the syrup, sliced the peaches into tiny pieces, and mashed them with my potato masher, and then mixed the cookies and peaches together, added the coconut and milk, stirred and put the whole shebang in the freezer.  My second concoction contained chocolate flavored, cream filled cookies, that I mixed with the evaporated milk, and two bananas that I mashed (again with my potato masher).  I threw the bananas in with the milk soaked cookies and continued mashing until the whole think looked like chocolate mashed potatoes.  That concoction went into the freezer, too.

I occasionally checked on my ice cream and gave both containers a good stirring, and by the time I went to bed they had both begun to firm up.  These batches are not nearly as 'icy' as my first attempt at making homemade ice cream.  This morning I stirred the containers again.  This ice cream is looking pretty darn good, AND TASTES DARN GOOD, TOO. Way to go Sandra.  I think I've got two winners.

THE OTHER THING

Now, I hate to end on a disturbing note, but while watching the news last night I got some bad news.  I was told msn.com has a terrible, awful, really yucky bug and should not be used for searching the internet until Microsoft can figure out how to get rid of it.  Shoot, I've been using msn for years after Google Chrome apparently had a bug and my computer hick-upped for quite a while.  Eventually I gave up on Google and went back to the more primitive (in my opinion only) Microsoft.  We had a pretty good relationship after I eventually learned the idiosyncrasies and quirky ways of maneuvering through their system.

After learning about the newest, and most horrible bug that would wipe out my computer, and spread my personal, most private information around the globe I knew it was time to dump msn.com.  So, last night I went back to Google Chrome.  This meant I had to build a whole new favorites list, fish around Google itself, re-establish passwords for every damn site and generally re-learn a whole new look of some sites.  I almost missed Craig Ferguson.

Don't get me wrong.  I would be lost with out the internet.  It is my connection with the world, and I love having the world just a keystroke away.  It's such a marvel.  I've no intention of abandoning this marvelous technology.  I'd have no store, I'd have no blog, I'd have no friends on facebook, I'd never 'get mail'.  It's okay internet, I'll carry on.

And, there you have it, this, that and the other thing.  Life's like a box of chocolates, you just never know what you're "gonna' git".

No comments:

Post a Comment