Friday, April 11, 2014

The good old 'whip-woo"

Yesterday my blog was all about the 'hubba hubba', and how a man dare not use such a derogatory remark...at least out loud.  Because today's woman would find it very offensive, although for the life of me  I really don't understand why.  But, then again it is 'me' we're talking about here.

Today I'm going to talk about the Wolf Whistle, which by today's standards is also offensive...again, I'm not sure why.  I loved it when I got one, because I knew I thought I was looking pretty good when I left the house, and that somebody else did too, as I was walking to work.  It meant, some guy, actually leaned on his shovel, and spent a few seconds glancing my way, and thought the view was worth it.  I'm telling ya', a Wolf Whistle would make my day.  Never, ever did I consider it offensive. 

Oh, those good old days...those were the times.  The building next to the one in which I worked housed the police and fire departments and I had to walk past it several times a day.  During nice weather, the doors were always up, and Firemen, being very appreciative of a pretty girl frequently rested a shoulder against the door jams.  I admit, they were not so much people watchers, but they sure liked to watch the ladies.  I used to get such a kick out of watching them, watch the girls.  Trust me, they probably had lecherous thoughts, but every girl got 'a look'...trust me.  Although, because I had to walk by the building every day, several times a day, I became 'a fixture' so to speak and could walk by without so much as a single 'hubba hubba' or a Wolf Whistle.  But, I did graduate up to 'hello's' and head nods from these fine gentlemen. 

Anyway, back to the Wolf Whistle, here's what I learned this morning, thank you Wikipedia.  The wolf-whistle is a two-toned sound (like 'whip-woo') and is commonly made to show approval of something or someone (originally a woman thought to be sexually attractive).  "The wolf-whistle" (Supposedly) "originates from the navy General Call made with a boatswain's pipe. The general call is made on a ship to get the attention of all hands for an announcement. Sailors in harbor would whistle the general call when seeing a pretty woman to draw fellow sailors' attention to her. It was eventually picked up by passers-by, not knowing the real meaning of the whistle, and passed on. Over time, the precise tones of the general call were flattened somewhat into the wolf whistle common today."  Well, not 'today', today cause a poor fellow just might get himself a ticket for 'sexual harassment' and frankly I think that's kind of sad.

Even though it's no longer acceptable, it's my belief each and every woman, should get at least one Wolf Whistle in her lifetime, because every woman has somebody in their life who thinks they are the most beautiful woman in the whole wide world and I think that person should (now in privacy of course) give that beautiful woman the Wolf Whistle she deserved.

Come on guys...give her one good, long, WHIIIIPPPP-WOOOOOOOOOOO.

And, that's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment