Thursday, April 3, 2014

And the wind blows

Sooo, I heard this morning, tornado season has started.  I'm not particularly crazy about this because my son and his family live in the area know as Tornado Alley.  I know his house is well built, and his family knows what to do to protect themselves during a tornado alarm...but you know how it is...a mother worries.

I remember the first time I visited there he told me if I heard the siren where to go in the house for safety sake.  I have to say that was a little unsettling.  But, very good to know.  Fortunately, in all the times I've visited there I've never heard an alarm.  They do have some pretty dandy electrical storms, and I've been there for a couple of those. I'd forgotten how unsettling they could be, even though, as I was growing up, we used to have some pretty dandy storms in Pennsylvania, too.

We have some here in the Pacific Northwest, but not like those back east.  I had a friend who loved electrical storms and would crawl out onto their front porch roof to watch them roll in.  I always thought that was kind of nuts.  I've heard it said if you can hear the thunder, you could be struck.  Since I'm not planning to go out fried up like a potato chip as soon as I hear the first rumble of thunder I tend to stay indoors, away from windows and doors and off the phone as well. 

This year I have another concern about tornado season.  My beloved Decorah Eagles.  Oh, in years past, the thought something could happen to their tree during this time of year would come to mind but I would dismiss it, because the odds are great their tree would not be damaged.  However, this year the winter in the middle of the country has been extremely brutal, with lots of snow, sleet, rain, low wind chill and actual temperatures,  so much so the eagles had to work hard just to survive.  While through it all, the male and female had to continue making their nest ready for their new family.  Finally the nest was ready, eggs were laid, and just yesterday the first baby was born. 

Things were looking up.

Then I got the news there could be an outbreak of tornadoes today.  Hence comes my second worry.  Iowa sits smack dab in the middle of Tornado Alley.  After all my precious eagles have gone through during the winter months, the thought their tree could be wiped out in seconds has sent me into a tizzy.  And, the thought there is nothing any of us can do to avoid such a disaster has been overwhelming.  All I can do is hope for their safety and to pray.

And, that's exactly what I did, I asked the Lord to bless them and keep them safe from harm.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment