Sunday, November 16, 2014

Well, son of a gun

Yesterday's blog was about the cold, wind, sleet, snow and freezing rain.  And, how I was fascinated that the snow and freezing rain was still hanging around in the areas the sun had not reached.

I was hoping I might find the same phenomenon this morning...and I did.  I was a very happy camper. I went around the house standing at every window inspecting for ice.  I've discovered the shrubs and trees have very little ice remaining, not so much from the temperature because even this morning with wind chill, it is in the low 20's; but because of evaporation.  There is very little humidity, so the moisture is quickly drying up the ice and snow.  I suspect, with a warmer temperature (which is supposed to come) my 'bit of magic' will be gone tomorrow.

So, I want to report another bit of cold weather related trivia.  We humans as sooo,
unpredictable.  The first day the TV reporters were outdoors reporting on the bad weather...I think Wednesday, we were told the schools would remain open, and that some would be operating two hours late.  Some parents were up in arms, inquiring if the weather was going to be that bad...shouldn't the schools be closed for the children's safety?  Maybe so.

Then, the next day, most schools were closed...guess what?  Some parents were again up in arms, this time because the schools had been closed.  Were we not aware the weather was 'not that bad' and shouldn't the schools be more accommodating, surely the students would be safe.

What???????????

It wasn't like overnight the icy roads and snowy side streets had magically become free of said ice and snow.  How was it possible the ice and snow was so harmful one day, and not the next.  Sigh.

Poor school districts.

Also, I'm curious about the drivers who are out there on those dangerous roads, slipping and sliding into ditches and other vehicles.  The same TV reporters who report school closures and late openings, also tell drivers "stay home" yet drivers do not listen.  As a result we see them on the news, talking with reports with grins on their faces, apparently proud they've wrecked their car and some other's as well.   Really, 'splain' that to me.

Anyway, it appears we are going to get back to normal soon, the temperatures are slowly rising, and by Wednesday we will be back to 'good ole' rain.  I for one can hardly wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment