Sunday, November 30, 2014

I'm so confused.

What the heck day is this?

For some reason this Thanksgiving long weekend has me topsy-turvy.  I guess because I've not been keeping my normal....(I can get through my routine blindfolded)...schedule.  For instance, while dragging out all my Christmas decorations I discovered my garage floor was littered with fallen leaves, decaying hops, cat litter and cat fur.  I hate to say it, but it was disgusting, yuck.  I was disgusted with myself I had allowed my garage to come to such a state.  Of course, I dragged out my carpet sweeper and gave the whole thing a 'what for'. This was a time consuming job, and didn't help when it came to my aching muscles.  However, in the end, I was glad the job was done.

Yesterday I decided to set up my little fiber optic Christmas tree in my bay window.  Since it is so small, a few years back I decided to string and tie together its tiny decorations onto one long strand. So far that has worked great...until last evening.  When not in use, I wind the strand around a piece of cardboard and I noticed some of the ornaments had become intertwined, oh, I sensed this was going to be bad.  I gingerly tried to untangle them, but lost patience and gave the cardboard a good shake and the strand of ornaments fell off.  Uh-oh! Sigh!  Not only was it a horrible jumble, the loose end I had started with had disappeared.

Okay, I tell myself, I can fix this.  No big deal.  I was so dispirited with myself I slunk to the sofa, with the realization this was going to take some time, that could be best used elsewhere. Undaunted, I began to undo the mess.  It was awful, since each ornament has intricate angles, as soon as I freed one, I was faced with another twist of the string holding them together.  I worked for an hour, and had accomplished absolutely nothing.  The more I worked, the more frustrated I became, I actually lost patience, and became quite angry with myself and this stupid, stupid strand of ornaments.   No, I was just angry with me.  Then, I did something most peculiar.  I heaved myself off the sofa, and had a conversation with myself that went something like this.

"I am sooo done, why am I wasting my time on this.  This is a hopeless cause, I'm never going to untangle this, should never have strung these things together in the first place, and am not going to waste one more minute trying to salvage this.  A couple of years ago, I'd have had the patience to fix this...but...not this year...not this year."

By now I had reached the kitchen trash bin, I flung open the door, threw the jumble of ornaments into the bin, turned, and walked away.  It was strange walking away...just walking away...I didn't even feel guilt, I did however, feel relief.  I think I disliked that strand of ornaments from the very beginning, and realized the tree would survive quite nicely without it.

And it is.  I finished adorning the tree with garlands, placed a silvery angel on the top, flipped the switch and my lovely little optic tree sprang to life.

Anyway, I think these kinds of incidents helped to cause my confusion as to what day it is.  It will be lovely to get back to normal this afternoon when my tree is up and trimmed.

Well...maybe not...after all, tomorrow is Cyber Monday, and I do have shopping to do.

This is Sunday, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment