Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Time to refresh, replenish, reflect, renew

First of all, I took a few days off from work, daily activities, the Internet, facebook, e-mail and just about everything else. Except of course eating and the essentials of life.  I think I wanted to prove to myself I was not addicted to all the things that occupied my days. Especially the Internet, involving facebook, e-mail, my store, research, and everything else that pleases me when it comes to electronic interaction with my world.

So, for two days I restricted my computer activities for a half an hour, right before I went to bed to check my e-mail and facebook postings.  I've discovered I'm actually capable of surviving without both.  Since my subscription to Lumosity has expired and I cannot afford to renew it for another year, that will be cutting back on computer time as well. Although I've taken up playing the card game Hearts and the rules are slowly coming back.  I'm certainly not good at it at the moment, I think if I had the memory to 'count' the cards I would be much better at the game.

I also (once in a while) visit my farm on the computer game Farmtown, and confess I'm getting kind of  rich playing that, and wish it were real cash in my possession.  However, it is coming to the point I mostly spend my computer time actually 'working'.  Although...I've not a clue why, maybe it's time to move on from that, too.

I think maybe next year might be one of great change.  I feel a strange wind a-blowin'.  I think it's time for moving on.  I confess I get kind of homesick for my hometown, but know I would never be able to stand their winters, although I could get myself quite a home since the housing market is quite different there.  I sometimes think about California, too, but here again, things are not going well there either, what with their water problems, and economic down turn...people, jobs leaving instead of moving there.  And, truth be told I do like the Pacific Northwest, it's been good to me and my family.  Still, I've got this nudging, a pushing if you will, that there is something new out there I've not tried.  I'm eager, excited, scared...I sense a fork in the road...Should I take the one paved, well traveled and safe, or perhaps Robert Frost's 'one less traveled'.  With all the courage I can muster, I want to take the one less traveled...do I possess it?

Over the weekend I watched a BBC series, Lark Rise to Candleford, a period piece about change and challenge, and how it takes courage to accept change and move on with challenge, but that it also takes courage to stand still in the present.  Having the courage to stand still is definitely harder, but it is in the standing still that family history is perpetuated, traditions are formed, relationships are established.  The series has stirred longings in me, possibilities, wondering's and wanderings. What will my future hold.  Only time will tell. Perhaps 2015 will be my year for new adventures, and my last hurrahs.

I feel a strange wind a-blowin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment