Saturday, November 15, 2014

It's a most unusual week.

I so enjoy the unusual.  For instance, it has been more cold here this week than a normal November. We've had chilly, blustery winds coming down the gorge, sleet, freezing rain, and some areas had inches and inches of snow.

Oh, and power outages...but that's negative...so we won't go there.

Mostly, I've been watching the freezing rain, that covered my neighborhood. Yesterday was particularly entertaining.  It was gloriously sunny, and all the trees and shrubs sparkled like diamonds as the breeze gently blew them about.  When the sun rose above my visual tree line, the shrubs and trees began to warm up and tiny icicles began to form.  I was drawn to every window, and I watched the ice begin to disappear.  The street dried, but the ice remained on my mailbox a shimmering ice rink.  Then as the afternoon progressed every tree and shrub the sun reached, it melted their frozen branches.

I was intrigued, as the sun progressed across the sky and shade took over the sunny spots.  The melting stopped, and the trees and shrubs took on a look I'd never seen before.  Parts of them had melted, the branches standing straight and tall again, while lower, hidden branches remained bent over and frozen.

The air temperature hovered around freezing all day, and as darkness approached, my neighbors roofs looked like patchwork quilts, partly ice/frost covered, partly bare and dry.  I wondered what the morning would hold.

To my delight, this morning when I pulled open the drapes, it was as though time had stood still. Roofs were still a patchwork, lawns were partly ice covered, and some branches still struggle to rid themselves of their icy blankets.  It's been amazing!

The temperature today is going to reach a high of....maybe 40 or 41 degrees, so it will be interesting to see if all the ice and frost disappear today.  I'm hoping it does not, I would so enjoy pulling the drapes tomorrow morning and seeing patchwork quilt rooftops.

No comments:

Post a Comment