Monday, November 3, 2014

It's funny, (peculiar)...

Yes, try as I might, I still can't type.  As you all know typing has never been my strong suit, and having an injured wrist is not helping.  Oh, don't get me wrong the Ace Bandage is helping a great deal in the healing process as is the pain cream and hot compresses, still typing takes tremendous effort.  I have been trying to use the hunt and peck system, and I have to say I don't know how people do it, that system takes me forever.  I have to look at the keyboard, look up at the monitor, up and down, up and down.  Geeze.

So, this morning I'm using both hands and looking only at the monitor.  I'm not sure how long my wrist will last.  As a result, this will probably be a short blog.  Yes, I know, I probably should have had my wrist checked by a professional, and maybe even had an x-ray done.  I probably would have been told to purchase a wrist brace and wear it for the duration.  Maybe I'd have been given as prescription for a pain killer of some sort.  Still, I have to ask myself, would my wrist be healing any quicker. Probably not.

I've often reported here Things They Never Tell You, about getting old and here is one more.  It takes a long time to recover from an accident...no matter how small. Truth is, we move slower, can concentrate on one thing at a time only, and must at all time be watchful about what we are doing, where we are going, and how we are going to get the job done.  Otherwise, some dumb stunt is going to get us into trouble.

I've learned to look down while walking, even though the medical community tells me I should continue to look up and out.  Really?  Listen you young whipper snapper...nothing will make a twig, curb, edge of step jump up and grab your ankle than looking up and out.  They loooooovvvveeeee to make an old folk stumble and fall.  

I've learned to turn on lights...before I get out of bed, enter a room, attempt to walk out of doors at night.

I've learned how easily an accident can happen...You know how the commercials say one in three old person will fall every year.  When mine happens I go "Whew, that takes care of me for this year...thank goodness I didn't break anything.".

I've learned to be cautious taking flights of steps, both up and down...to avoid escalators, and take elevators when steps seem to dangerous to attempt.

I've learned it's time to start collecting brochures for Senior Citizen complexes.  I'm hopeful, I might find one I can afford.  Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not in panic mode, nor do I feel I'm losing it.  But, I do think it would be nice for somebody to fix my meals, have transportation at the ready for doctor visits and social outings.  I want a staff to look after me, and a nurse on duty, I want an exercise room and daily activities.  If  I choose the right one I can start out in independent living and it will take me all the way to my final days.  Not a bad deal, when I think about it.  It takes the pressure of me and my family as well.
 
I've also learned no matter how rich or poor we all feel pain, cry salty tears, and muddle through life's muddy puddles.

I've learned, life is not a bowl of cherries, ants can't move a rubber tree plant, and there are not always silver linings, or a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.  But I've also learned life is good, where there is a will, there is a way, and to always take the road less traveled because you never know what's just around the bend.


No comments:

Post a Comment