Friday, November 28, 2014

Thanksgiving

Yesterday, being Thanksgiving, I started my personal pre-holiday traditions.  They started with a call from my brother who always begins the conversation with his traditional gobbbllle, gobbbbllllleee, gobbbbble.  That introduction this year was very unusual, as the gobble was not the one I expected and I confess I was taken just a bit aback.  I was in stitches.  We had a lovely talk.

Then, I went about doing my exercises, followed by a saunter to my movie collection to hunt out my holiday favorites.  I grabbed six, just to get me started, I've several more to watch as December moves along.  Yesterday I watched "We're no Angles", an oldie but goody, (if you you can get your hands on a copy I highly recommend it) that stars Humphrey Bogart, Aldo Ray and Peter Ustinov.  It takes place on Devils Island in the 1890's (or there about's) they are escaped convicts intent on mayhem and murder, and well....I don't want to spoil the plot...you have to watch it for yourselves.

Then I watched About A Boy, a quirk-y British Flick starring Hugh Grant.  He plays a bachelor (of course) who invents an imaginary child in order to join a singles group to meet single women with children.  This should be a smooth sailing adventure, which (of course) it is not because, a 12 year old boy named Marcus enters his life and turns it topsy-turvy.  This is a holiday movie, although the holiday takes place more in the background, it is the cast of characters that make this film so endearing.  I hope you will give it a go some holiday season.

I fixed myself a holiday feast, that I enjoyed later in the afternoon, I had chicken, potatoes, gravy, sweet squash, warm three bean salad, cranberry sauce, pickled beets and eggs, olives...and a beer. Good stuff, good stuff.  For once, I did not overeat...oh...so that's what it feels like...I didn't need a nap.  What a surprise.

Today I will be taking down my Autumn/Thanksgiving decorations in preparation for those of Christmas, and will be watching some more of my holiday 'flicks'.  I think I'll start with Elf, and then maybe another oldie, White Christmas, with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. Now there's a feel good song and dance, romance and do a good turn for somebody, sure to warm your toes and cockles of your heart movie.

Man, I love this time of year.

Well, I guess I had better get busy, I hope you all had a fantastic day, yesterday and that if Black Friday shopping is your gig for today, stay safe, take care...I'll be here, thinking about you, but glad to be home getting ready for Christmas. Ho, ho, ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment