Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Optimists will like this one

I'm a very happy camper. 

I learned over the weekend that the Smelt are running.  Turns out at least one of the local TV channel's found that a news worthy event.  Here's the thing.

When we first moved here in the early '70's the Smelt would run every year at this time.  Families would gather nets and buckets, don rain gear and boots and head for the Sandy River where they would spend the day catching as many Smelt as law would allow.  They knew a good meal was on the way.  You will probably never taste a tastier fish fried up with potatoes and onion for breakfast.  Oh my, my mouth is starting to water. 

Anyway, what I didn't know is that since that time Smelt have become endangered, and that there has not been a Smelt run for 10 years.  Sadly, I confess I have not given any thought to them and their plight for at least that long.  So, when I saw the story over the weekend they are running I got excited, my ears 'perked' up and I stopped to see and listen to the story.  There on a bridge was a lone figure, slowly walking toward the camera telling the Smelt story and showing pictures of happy families, and tiny silvery fish slithering through the crystal clear water.  The in-studio anchor inquired if people had come out to enjoy the event and we were told a few families did, and they related stories from their childhoods and the joy the family outings brought them. 

Way to go Smelt...I'm so happy and delighted you have grown in numbers and hope this once more will become an annual event, the run...not the breakfast.

Next, I can proudly say I have broken the 900 mark on Lumosity.  My BPI (Brain Profile Index) has jumped two hundred points since I started playing the games in November.  Sadly, there are no games for 'common sense' (giggle, giggle) so I suspect I will continue to do the nonsensical kinds of things I reported in yesterday's blog. 

And finally...the moon...as I mentioned earlier in this blog I've lived here in the Pacific Northwest since the early '70's', and as you know the northwest is noted for its grey, gloomy, sullen skies and rain, by the bucket or the sprinkle.  So, from November to March we do not have much opportunity to see the stars and the moon.  This year was exceptional.  I wish I had kept count, because I can't remember how many moons waxing, waning, and full I have seen over the last five months.  Last night was outstanding!  I stood mesmerized as the budding Mountain Ash tree silhouetted, turned the orb into a magical looking yellow crystal ball.  Oh, the wonder.  I love moments like that...silent, moon lit, the smell of daffodils on the chilly late night air.  Breathe deeply friends, breathe deeply.

Okay, I guess I'm done.  I think I had better sign off before Frankie sneaks into the room and reads this, since she thinks I'm a freaky optimist I'm sure she would have some great Frankie-isms to insert.

Have a great day folks.  Spring has sprung!

No comments:

Post a Comment