Friday, March 8, 2013

Spit tacks

Have you ever been so angry with yourself you want to, to, to...well, spit tacks.

That would have been me last night.

Generally I can get a lot of Gues Who stuff done between 10-11 PM. and 2-3 AM.
So, I was humming along nicely last night, collating illustration files in an effort to publish a new catalog.  Cut, paste, delete old file; cut, paste, delete old file;  cut, paste, delete old file.  I mean to tell you my fingers were on fire.

To bad my brain had ceased to keep up.  I just got done with a five page transfer, that involved 45 illustrations, and I thought I was deleting the last old file, when 'poof', my brand new file vanished.  No sweat, it probably went into the recycle bin I can retrieve it from there.  I go to the recycle bin, there is no sign of the file, uh-oh.  I had not given this file a name. I don't know what the heck I'm looking for.  Plus, I was so cocky, when I was putting the old files in the bin, they were empty, I did not save the illustrations in the file when I deleted them. 

S--t!  S--t!  S--t!

I was seeing red, it has been a loooong time since I have been so mad at myself.  I wanted to vent, but it was almost 3:00, and I didn't want to wake Frankie, because I knew she would not be sympathetic to my plight.  Eventually I gave up looking for the file, and sadly, dejectedly, miserably, defeated and angered I went to bed.

This morning I sit here, sad, dejected, miserable, defeated, but not so much angry any more.  You can only nurse anger for so long, and then 'stupid' sets in.  So, the lesson I learned is don't get cocky...that just makes you a 'Dumb A--.  (I guess there is a little anger left.)

I'm not sure how I am going to retrieve the missing files, and more importantly all those illustrations. I know they are on my computer somewhere, funny thing is, I was back-upping my files on a flash drive for Karen, and that was going to be the very next thing to do when the 'poof' thing happened.  That makes me even a "dumber-a--".

Grrrrrrr.

Frankie:  "Morning, what's ya doin'?"
Me:  "Contemplating."
Frankie:  "I probably shouldn't ask, but, contemplating what?"

I proceed to tell her what had happened.  I can see her eyes glaze over...she does not give a crap. 

Me:  "You do know I love you, don't you?"
Frankie:  "Sure."
Me:  (In a loud, cranky, unkind voice.)  ''GET OUT OF HERE....GRRRRR.....OR I'M GOING TO SPIT TACKS.  BUST A GUSSET, POP A VEIN.  You want to be responsible for that?"

Silence.

Frankie:  "Spit tacks, baaa,haaa,haaa, bust a gusset...tee, hee, hee..  pop a vein ha, ha ha...can I watch.

She tousles my hair, and leaves the room. 

Silence.

Okay, maybe I have over reacted.  It isn't like I can't eventually replace the file.  I do have hard copies, pictures downloaded from my camera on the computer, and hundreds of other illustrations I can use.  I guess losing one file is not the end of the world...

And,  reality is, it isn't really about the loss of the file, it's about me, I had allowed myself to become what I thought was so computer savvy I was beyond making such a 'rooky mistake'.  So, as a reminder, I'm going to put a sign on my computer.

Pride goeth before a fall. 
Idiot!!!!!!
 
Yep, that would be me, that would be me.


No comments:

Post a Comment