Friday, May 16, 2014

Good for nothing

Oh, it's going to be one of those days.  I've got giggles rattling around in my abdomen.  Seriously, I can feel them, they want to escape. I'm fighting for
control.  If I unleash them I will not accomplish one single thing today.

What has brought these giggles on is morning is what happened yesterday.  Since it has been such a lovely week I've diligently worked on preparing my front and back yards for summer.  Yes, I've got all kinds of 'crap' filling up winter's empty spaces.

There are frogs, a raccoon, Tommy-knockers on shepherd crooked wrought iron 3' poles, rusted art, artificial ferns and flowers, and an artistic blown glass globe on a copper base that I call "the big blue marble".  It's the artificial flowers that have me giggling.

I've got containers upon containers of artificial flowers in my garage.  Seriously, they go from concrete floor to the bottom of my overhead shelf.  There are some boxed on top of the refrigerator, some free standing boxes, and a couple of shelves to hold the 'leftovers'.

In particular, I was looking for some rose bushes.  I knew they were somewhere, I just could not remember where.  So, I started rummaging around.  I un-taped boxes, took the lids off every single plastic container I had neatly labeled "summer", and could not find the rose bushes anywhere.  I knew for sure there were at least three of them, two red and one yellow.  Where the heck were they?  All this rooting around was good for something, it gave me time to better organize my "summer crap", but nowhere, absolutely nowhere were the rose bushes.  Did I throw them away?  No, I never, ever throw anything away....ask anybody!

My frustration grew.  I wanted to scream.  (Uh oh...was that almost an audible giggle? Oh, this is not good.)  Nuts, here it comes.

So, I was talking with a friend, and was telling her my tale of woe, and we got sidetracked about how our memories were failing us...and how could we possibly be so old...(eighty is three years away)!  OMG!  She assured me I would find my roses, somewhere, some day, and that she was looking for some missing items herself..she was hopeful she would come across her missing doily eventually.  (Possibly when she drags out her Christmas decorations this year.)

Anyway, when we hang up I go back to searching.  Damn rose bushes.  I don't really need them, the yards look tacky enough without them...but now...IT'S THE PRINCIPLE OF THE THING...I WANT THOSE DAMN BUSHES.  I have the empty flower pots to put them in, and will not be happy until they are filled with red and yellow rose bushes.

There is one place left to look.  It is a cardboard box I've turned into a storage cabinet.  The box originally held a kitchen chair, one of four I ordered on-line several years ago.  It's very sturdy, I cut a door into one side of it, and put a hook on the door and the eye on the side of the box in order to hold it shut (thank you duct tape). Within the box I store large bouquets of seasonal artificial flowers that sit on my hearth as the months and seasons change.  I'm almost 100% sure my rose bushes are not stored here, but this cabinet is my last hope.

I begin rummaging through the white plastic bags. Nope, that autumn, no, that spring, shoot, that's Christmas. There are only two bags left...The first holds summer flowers, but the bushes are not in this bag. I'm filled with despair.  I pull open the last bag, and there...almost at the very bottom is a rose bush...then another, another and another.  Two red and two yellow.  Wow, these bushes are much larger than I remember.  Holy cow!

On one hand I'm a very happy camper, love, I love, love these flowers.  There's a joy deep down in my heart.

I shake them and 'fluuuf''them out.  Beautiful!  Then it hits me.

My flower pots, are much, much too small.  Well I'll be damn.

Giggle, giggle, giggle.  All that time, all that effort, all that frustration...was good for nothing....giggle, giggle, giggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment