Wednesday, May 28, 2014

It's the simple things

I don't know about you, but for me the most simple thing can make my day, bring a lump to my throat and tear to my eye.

As with most older folk I don't have a lot of cash to throw around, and I don't want to say I'm a tightwad...well... maybe I am...so when something unexpected throws my budget into a tail spin I tend to crash around the house like a wild bull elephant, cursing, gnashing, and tearing my clothing asunder.  

Such was my attitude and composure last night.  Just before bedtime I checked my kitchen freezer to see if my homemade ice creams were 'setting up', when I heard a funny click you know, the sound your fridge makes when it wants to turn on. However, I got nothing, just the click.  "Hmmm", I says to myself,  "Well, that ain't right."  So I close the freezer door, open the refrigerator door and stand there waving the door back and forth trying to force the warm room air into the fridge in order to make the thermostat fall and start the refrigerator motor. Again, I got 'nuttin'.  

(Time passed.)

A while later I repeat the process, first by opening the freezer door, and then the refrigerator door.  This time I turn the thermostat knob off, wait a minute or two and turn the knob back on to my normal setting. CLICK.  That was it...CLICK.

It was about this time I began to think those nasty words in my brain.  Oh yes, you know the ones, they generally have four letters.  Anyway, I repeat the procedure, opening and closing both doors, CLICK, (silence) hoping this time the fridge motor would start.  CLICK, (silence).  Sigh.  

By now it's after 11 PM, what the heck can I do at this hour of the night.  I do what any frustrated, swearing, rambling old woman would do.  I took a pill, turned out the lights and went to bed, fulling expecting to find a kitchen floor overrun with water and a freezer full of defrosted food.  

Fast forward.  It's 5:30 AM.  I'm laying in bed, and through my early morning fog, swims my refrigerator. Oh yeah now I remember, I've got to face a kitchen mess, call a repair man, and wonder how I'm going to come up with the money for that, since my check does not arrive for another two weeks.  Sigh.  

You know that old expression "drag your heels", that's what I did.  First I refused to budge out of bed, then I finally threw the blankets back and sat at the edge of the bed.  I sat, and sat, and sat.  Eventually Zorro's bounding about in his early morning exuberance caused me to reach for my slippers.  The inevitable was about to happen.  

Slowly, ever so slowly, swearing under my breath, still dragging my heels, I ventured down the hall, across the living room and around the corner.  

WHAT??????  There was no water on the floor, no melting ice cream creeping out from under the freezer door.  I reach for the refrigerator door and slowly pull it open, I'm greeted by a blast of wonderful, glorious, winter-like, cold air.  As I'm pulling out my pet food containers, CLICK.  The refrigerator motor starts, the room is filled with a familiar, friendly hum.  

Thank you, dear Lord God for your gracious kindness to one humble, rambling old woman.

Sometimes it's the most simple thing that can make my day, bring a lump to my throat and tear to my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment