Sunday, May 11, 2014

Well, that was unsettling!

There I was sound asleep.  Thump!!!!

Even though I was asleep, I heard it, it sounded like something hit the side of the house.  It was loud enough to bring me back to reality.  I lay there, contemplating what the heck that was.

I ponder whether I should get up and look around, or to stay as quiet as possible. What if somebody was breaking in?  Yes, maybe I should remain still, and listen for signs of movement.   And, if I hear some, then I will act.  I'll grab the dog, my cell phone and head for the bathroom and lock us in.

In the meantime, my imagination takes hold.  Has somebody thrown something at my house?  A rock perhaps.  Maybe a Molotov cocktail?  Wait, I hear no emergency vehicles, so it's not a cocktail.  There's no tinkle of breaking glass, so I know no window has been broken.

Still, is somebody slowly creeping towards my bedroom?  I stare into the darkness looking for shadows and signs of movement.

Crap...I've gotten myself into quite a state.  I'm thinking I should get up and walk around the house, just to set my mind and body at ease.  But, I don't.  Eventually I realize nothing is wrong, and I go back to sleep.

This morning I get up and walk around the house, looking out every window.  I don't know what I expect to find or see, but I would like an explanation of some sort.  There is none.

Did I imagine the whole thing?  No, I know what I heard, it was the proverbial 'thing that goes bump in the night'.  And let me tell you...THAT was a little unsettling.

No comments:

Post a Comment