Thursday, May 8, 2014

Hi everybody, I'm Bobby

I've resigned myself to the fact I've got a permanent house guest.  By golly, I have to say I'm quite surprised. Who knew an insect would take a liking to the indoors rather than out.

The first time this year I put the Shield Bug outside it didn't seem unusual when it reappeared in my morning room, because the temperatures had plummeted and I'm sure it missed the warmth and comfort of the house. So, I allowed it to roam around, and then put it out again a few weeks later.  Surely this time, since it was spring, I figured it would get the urge to mate and start a family of its own.

When I found it crawling up the inside of the sliding door frame not long after, I simply picked it up and put it back outside.  Occasionally I would see it in the vicinity of my patio, and would say "hello", and we'd go about our business.

Then, yesterday, there it was, on my wicker settee in my morning room.  What the heck?  I contemplated taking it back outside, but thought better of it.   Apparently, this 'guest' wants to become part of the family, and I'm now incline to let that happen.  Why not?  It doesn't take up a lot of room, is not loud or obnoxious and never, ever demanding, seems like a perfect fit. Plus, I'm guessing if it can't find something to eat here in the house, it knows how to get back outside, so I'm not going to worry about that any more.

Just exactly why this Shield Bug has singled me out for a house mate, I don't know.  However, I'm going to have to remind myself it's going to be around on a permanent basis, because, not watching where I was putting my hand as I was going down the steps to the garage, I accidentally brushed it off the banister and it hit the bottom step just before it landed on the carpet below.  It was quit a hit...I not only saw it fall, I heard it hit the step.

It landed on its back and was in the process of trying to right itself, when I scooped it up and gently placed it on the settee.  I think it's okay, although I left it alone for the time being, and will check on it later.  If it has moved, I'm pretty sure it will be all right.

Anyway, I figure if it wants to be in the house that badly I might as well consider it part of the family.  I just need a name, preferably one suitable for either gender.  Maybe Bobby will work.  It's funny how things work out, who would have thought a winter house guest would want to stay, and stay, and stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment