Monday, June 16, 2014

I got advise to 'change my color'.

This morning I got some advise that I should “change my color” and I choose to be ‘hot pink’ today.  However, this got me to thinking about a little piece I wrote quite some time ago for a creative writing class I was taking.  The assignment was to choose a color and then pretend we were that color. Needless to say, the students all picked lovely, sweet, fuzzy, warm colors.  My quirky mind went into a totally different direction.  Follows is a copy of my assignment.

Purple Funk
By Sandra Ann Hiller

Purple Funk, that’s me.  Not the razzle dazzle, pop-out your eyeballs, plum, orchid or mulberry
purple, much less February’s birthstone Amethyst.
But, the ominous cloud, blinding lightening and horrendous thunder, eventual deluge, Prussian Purple.
The color of that black and blue mark, two days after the nasty run-in you had walking into the
Edge of the coffee table, and your shin swells up like a tennis ball.

That’s me; Prussian Purple and I give you Purple Funk.

You do remember Prussian Purple, the purple that nobody ever used...for anything?  
I never got broken, and was always the last crayon in the box: 
Prussian Purple.  

They don’t even make me anymore.

One look at me and you know you’re going to have one heck of a bad hair day. 
I make you snarl at the bus driver,
 Break the heel on your favorite pair of peep-toe, sling-back pumps,
Spill coffee on your cashmere sweater,
Splatter puddle water on your silk skirt,
Be ten minutes late for the most important meeting of your life,
Laughing in your face, ‘cause your boyfriend’s going to leave you for your very best friend,
Personal Purple Funk.

Woooo, that felt good!

Now, if you have any doubts, I’ll make your soup cold, and your ham sandwich hot, go ahead,
Leave them in your parked car, but decide to eat them anyway Purple lunch,
And I’ll show you what Funk is really all about.

We have a saying our house that when things don’t go right and you got out of the bed
On the wrong side, you’re having a Purple Funk day.
God knows we’ve all had one from time to time.




No comments:

Post a Comment