Sunday, June 15, 2014

What's meant to be

This morning while I was feeding my furry creatures, the voice in my head said something very profound.

"What we think we want to have is not necessarily what is meant to be."

No matter how badly we want to have (whatever that is), we have not control over what happens in real life.

Take for instance:  When I was young all I talked about was wanting to be a nurse when I grew up. I wanted to help people.  However it didn't take long to discover, that was not my calling.  I was a horrible nurse.

Trust me, learning this was quite a blow, and I had no idea what in the world I was going to do with the rest of my life.  It didn't take long (thank goodness) to discover I was meant to be in advertising.  Who knew? Turned out, I was really good at what was meant to be.  I was one happy camper, and my life changed for the better...much better than my want to have could ever have been.

Then, I decided I wanted to live independently, and I thought frequently about having a tiny apartment downtown in my hometown.  I would be close to work, shopping, entertainment. How cool that would be.

However, that was not meant to be either.  And before I knew it I was winging 3,000 miles away to a place most people only dream about. Sunny Cal-e-for-ne-a.

What was meant to be was much, much better than what I thought I wanted to have.

As years went by, I thought I wanted to be a single, career woman.  And I was for a while. Then, what was meant to be took over, and I became a single mom.  I still had a career, of course, but when a tiny, blond, human being entered my life, it was one of the best meant to 'be' ever.  It was a struggle at times, money was tight, but we managed.  Good times.  Very, very good times.

I thought, yes, this is definitely what I want to have, a lovely apartment, a lovely child, a great job.  Life was good.

But, ultimately, this was not meant to be.  And, as time passed, I met someone, got married, and moved (again) north this time by a thousand miles or more, and what was meant to be happened again.  My family grew in number and in age.  More years passed many, many more.  And...

...here I am today.

All those things I thought I wanted to have did not come to pass. How fortunate I am they did not.

Otherwise I would not have had the life I do.  If I've learned anything, it is to expect the unexpected, and to roll with the tide.  When the tide is coming in, ride the waves, but when it isn't, don't struggle, focus on 'what's meant to be' which will surely rescue you.

When what you want is not working, no matter how much effort you are putting into it, it simply will not work.  Subtle influences, gentle persuasions, are at work, preparing a way for a better future.  Let your intuition chart your long term course.  

This just might be an excellent time to consider a new career, make a move, explore a hidden talent, or simply discover you are braver than you think.  Let go of the idea that what you want is the best thing for you.  Think outside the box and let 'what's meant to be' lead the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment