Monday, June 9, 2014

There are six alder trees

Month unknown 1994

I have started to read "Faith in a Seed" by Henry David Thoreau and it set me thinking about nature, trees in particular.  After several years of little summer rain, water usage was greatly restricted.  As a result, I watered as little as possible, to such an extent in fact, I secretly feared we might lose some, or perhaps all of our native greenery.  To my amazement, last spring, every single plant, shrub and tree greened up.

True, they did not appear as robust as years past and I noticed in particular that the group of alders around our park bench was not lush with leaves.  Still, they had survived, but even in August, when I gazed upward through was is normally a canopy of lush green leaves, I could see patches of blue sky.  I suspected this was the way it would be forever more.

After last year's sorrow for the alders I took joy in the leaves that woefully hung to the ends of their spindly branches, bravely providing whatever shade they could.  All the trees on the whole did not appear healthy. Indeed they seemed to be struggling for survival.  Once watering was no longer restricted I tried to provide adequate moisture for them.  In particular, I watched the six alders closely, fearful we would have to cut a few, or perhaps all of them down. Then, this year, 1994, it happened, I saw God's hand at work.  New branches began to appear along the trunks of the trees, close to the old branches.  True, they are small, some barely noticeable, but, nonetheless, the trees have begun to heal themselves.  It is as though some inner healing had to happen first, before any visual proof could be seen that the trees would indeed survive. 

With happy heart I walked the yard inspecting other shrubs and trees.  For the first time I SAW THE HEALING AT WORK. I COULD ALSO SEE THE TRUE EXTENT OF THE DAMAGE THE DROUGHT HAD DONE.  Especially in the shrubs.  Parts of them had died, and the parts that hadn't struggled for survival in the same way humans do against death.  It brings me great hope for the future to see each shrub (with a determination I will never understand) send out new shoots from underground, healthy and resolved to propagate their species.  However, it is the alders that have affected me the most because I truly thought they were going to die.  With every passing week I watch their new branches grow, slowly, sleepily extending outward, filling in the empty abandoned spots.  Is it their purpose to eventually take the place of the old and sickly branches?  I don't know and only time will tell.  Till then I'll simply enjoy these little miracles. 

I have a new admiration for the Creator and the secrets He is willing to share.  It reminds me of a pompous request I asked Him long ago.  I prayed, "Lord, let my faith be so, that I could move a tree from here to there."  He laughed.  I felt great remorse for having asked and quite chided in his laughter.  Then, He said, "You'll never move a tree from here to there, but I have given you an even greater gift.  Can't you see how I have let you grow them well, and in great abundance?"  Indeed He has, but He continues to be the Master. It is His handiwork that saved my alders from the drought.  I only continue to tend.  I thank Him every day for the gift to grow His trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment