Thursday, July 12, 2012

Talk about ramblings

I woke this morning with a jumble of thoughts.  Ramblings....

I thought about my mom, and how frugal she was.  I remember how we would turn over sofa and chair cushions trying to find a quarter that (maybe, hopefully) might have fallen out of my dad's pants pockets so we could go to Lopresti's Market for a quart of milk and a loaf of bread.  Lopresti's Market was at the end of our street, a tiny place to be sure, but delightful.  On shopping days mom would grab our Red Flyer wagon and off we would go to Lopresti's.  She would line us up on their porch, threaten that if we embarrassed her she would do horrible things to us and disappear inside the store.

Mom had an 'account' there, and if money ran out before the end of the month, and we could find no quarters hidden neath the cushions she could put that quart of milk or loaf of bread on 'account' til payday.
Like Momma, from the movie, and early TV show 'I Remember Momma' who always said, "It's good we don't have to go to the bank."  (There wasn't one).  So it was Mom was always grateful that she did not often have to put anything on her account.  We eventually got old enough to go to Lopresti's by ourselves for those end of the month necessities.  That's how I fell off my bike...lugging a bag of groceries home, steering on handed.  I still have gravel in my knee from that tumble.

Some years later an A&P supermarket opened across and slightly up the street from Lopersti's.  Ohhhh, the marvel,  rows, and rows of wonderful merchandise.  Things we had never, ever seen before.  But, know what I remember most?  A freebie at the checkout stand.  There was always a stack of thin magazines, called Family Circle, and Woman's Day.  We frequently brought them home.  They were filled mostly with beautiful pictures of food and the recipes to make quick, inexpensive meals for the family.

After a while they carried a price tag...a whole nickle...we didn't bring them home any more.

Although the supermarket was now the place mom shopped (prices were generally cheaper), we still had that precious account at Lopresti's.  Mostly, we neighborhood kids frequented that store for candy or an ice cream bar.  I also learned much later in life, some of us (I won't mention names) apparently found Lopresti's a great store for 'shop-lifting'...I swear I was not one of them.  Poor, Lopresti's.

A few years back I Googled Lopresti's and found they had moved to a larger location, but had recently closed for good...I assume they could no longer compete with the Albertson's, A&P's, and Safeway stores.  Sad mom and pop stores are disappearing.

Finally today I decided to give Lopresti's one final Google.  Yes, the store is gone...but also, here is what I found.

.LoprestiMay 11, 2010

Joseph A. Lopresti

GEISTOWN — LOPRESTI –  Joseph A., 90, Geistown, died May 11, 2010, at Memorial Medical Center. Born Feb. 3, 1920, in Johnstown, son of the late Vincenzo and Vincenza (Sunseri) Lopresti. Also preceded in death by brothers, August, Phillip and Jack, and sisters, Marian, Josephine and Marie Brendel. Survived by wife of 63 years, the former Mary Kooney; these daughters: Deborah, wife of Charles Cowan, Johnstown; Rita, wife of James Hagedorn, Cherry Hill, N.J.; Lorena Nadine Golias, Johnstown; and Molly, wife of Mike Strayer, Elkton, Md.; grandchildren, Theresa, Leona, Bob, Christopher, Kelly, Tony and Jimmy; sister, Jelorma, wife of Dominic DeMario, Johnstown; great-granddaughter, McKenzie; and numerous nieces and nephews. A 1938 graduate of Johnstown High School. World War II Army veteran of the South Pacific Theater. Retired owner/operator of Lopresti Market in Geistown for 66 years. Member of St. Benedict Catholic Church, Geistown, where funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, Father David S. Peles, pastor. Committal, St. Anthony Cemetery.  Friends received from 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at The Harris Funeral Home, 500 Cherry Lane, Richland. Family suggests that those who wish may contribute to St. Benedict’s Church, 2310 Bedford St., Johnstown, Pa. 15904 or Conemaugh Regional Hospice, 315 Locust St., Johnstown, Pa. 15901 in memory of Joseph A. Lopresti. 

Times change, sometimes for the better sometimes not. Today, I have subscriptions for Family Circle and Woman's Day Magazines, they come right to my door.  But, you know what...I miss those good old days when I could get them for free at the A&P.  
Even more, I miss Lopresti's...Rest in peace Joseph, rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment