Thursday, October 31, 2013

Still a bit under the weather

It's been a lousy couple of days. I'm feeling a bit better today.  Even taking nourishment.

I tried something new, ketsup on peanut butter crackers...don't.  Wasn't bad, but certainly wasn't good either.  I'm glad I gave it a test run on only one cracker.  I'm also glad Frankie was not there to see what I had done.  The rest of the crackers have peach jam on the peanut butter, and I eat one or two as I'm making my way through the kitchen.

I've also got some cream of chicken soup left over from the day before yesterday.  I think I will finish that up for lunch.  The thing I hate most about feeling under the weather is I know I'm hungry for something...but don't know what.  Mom was great at the 'what to fix' to eat when one does not feel well.  One of her favorites was toast with cinnamon/sugar on it.  To this day I occasionally fix myself some of that kind of toast.

She would also make jello.  So nice and cool going down, and took so little effort or work...pop it in your mouth, allow to melt slightly, and swallow.  Another of her favorites was chicken, bullion soup.  Also, still a favorite of mine.  Matter of fact I recently fixed myself some of that.  I guess some remedies simply don't get old.

However, I'm thinking it was not so much the food she prepared, it was the love with which she prepared it.  And, also, the fact I didn't have to fix it for myself.  That's definitely a downer having to live alone.

I find, I would rather not cook at all when I'm under the weather, it takes too much time and effort.  But, if I do, I've discovered I tend to use my mom's standbys.  Like this morning, a plate full of saltine crackers with peanut butter and jam is really hitting the spot when it comes to pleasing my taste buds.  Plus, the left over chicken soup is sounding pretty good as well.

When that is all gone, maybe I'll break open some Ramen noodles, or perhaps make a batch of macaroni and cheese.  KISB.  (Keep it simple, Babe.) 

I guess I'll make it somehow.  And when I really get to feeling better and my appetite is back, guess who I'm going to call.  Yep, Pizza Hut, I've got them on speed dial.

No comments:

Post a Comment