Sunday, October 20, 2013

Water, necessary evil

Here's the thing.  My doctor is on my case all the time about drinking water, so is my neighbor who happens to be a nurse.  So, I drink water, although not as much as I used to, and not as much as I know I should.  To tell the truth, I'm sick of drinking water. 

Yes, it's bottled, and yes, I know I'm putting a lot of plastic into the environment, and I should care, and I do.  But, (and I am a great little recycler) if I'm going to have to drink the stuff, I want to be able to tote it around without spilling it, I want it to be 'pure' and I want it to be icy cold...so guess what folks?  I'm not going to give up my bottled water. 

(Besides, I need bottled water, I have to be ready when that natural or man-made disaster occurs, after all water is a necessary evil, even though I don't care for it all that much anymore.)

But, I digress.

Yesterday morning I was fixing my morning cup of coffee with flavored creamer and decided to add a couple of pumps of strawberry syrup flavoring as well.  It was sooo good.  After which I then switched over to a bottle of water.  I confess it took just about the whole day for me to drain the bottle.  Eventually I'm standing in front of the refrigerator contemplating if I want to open a new one.

Frankie:  (In sing-song voice.)  "So....what's ya doin'?
Me:  "Thinking."
Frankie:  (Same icky sweet voice.)  "Bout what?" 

She actually tousles my hair.

Me:  " 'Bout' whether I want to open another bottle of water."
Frankie:  (Getting serious.)  "How much have you drunk today?"
Me:  (Sighing)  "One bottle."

Frankie reaches around me pulls open the door and hands me an icy cold bottle.  I shudder.  The though of drinking water repulses me.  Frankie bonks me on the back of my head muttering as she walks away, "You could-a had a V-8".

Me:  (A slight hint of irritation in my voice.) "Yeah, but that wouldn't be water, now would it?"

I slam the bottle of water on the kitchen counter and wish it would disappear. 

(Insert music from heaven here.)

I walk back to the refrigerator and pull out my bottle of lime juice, take a long draw of water, pour lime juice into the bottle, add a bit of sugar, and shake the dickens out of the whole shebang. 

Man...that bottle of water was great...I had drunk the whole thing in less than an hour.

(Insert music from heaven here.)

What if...what if...I should add some strawberry syrup instead of lime or lemon juice? OMG!  It was mystical, it was magical, I drank that bottle down and was ready for more.

Wait a minute...evening was close, if I keep drinking water, by bedtime I'm gonna be floating...and well...accidents do happen.  So I decide to hold back on the water intake.  However, I do open another bottle and add some strawberry syrup.

Frankie:  "What the heck is in this water?" 

She is closely examining my latest experiment, and I explain.  She takes a l-o-n-g draw, swallows and smiles...broadly...wipes her mouth with the sleeve of her sweats, nods and walks away.

I think I 'done good'!  Let's see, I've got strawberry, raspberry and blackberry syrups as well as lemon and lime juice, too.  I think I'm going to start to like drinking water again.





No comments:

Post a Comment