Saturday, October 26, 2013

Things they never tell you.

I learned a new word yesterday.  Malaise

I've been contemplating for several weeks whether to get a flu shot this year.  For the last two, after getting the shot, my health took a downward spiral.  No, not with flu-like symptoms, just a general not 100% 'feeling good' kind of way.  I hated it.  I was exhausted, some mornings I could barely drag myself out of bed.  I was sad, cried at the drop of a hat, was achy, had no appetite, and was frequently cranky.

I associated all these symptoms with having received the shot.  I got a lot of poo-pooing.  Since I'm generally medically uneducated, I eventually began to believe the poo-poo-er.  Also, eventually all my symptoms went away.

Still, in the back of my head I'm thinking the flu shot had something to do with the way I felt and decided, absolutely, positively I was NOT going to get a shot this year.

Then I got to thinking about the height of the flu season, what if I actually got the flu, it turned into something more sinister and I ended up in a hospital.

Yesterday I caved and got a shot.

Here's the thing.  My neighbor is a nurse, and she and I talked a few times about my reluctance to get a shot and yesterday sent me some information via e-mail about side effects of getting the shot. 

Minor Flu Vaccine Side Effects

Just as with all medical treatments there are potential side effects. Some of the minor flu vaccine side effects include:
Son of a gun.  I was certainly struck by the word Malaise...that was me, to a "T".   So, I did a little research myself.  Guess what?

Among the causes of Malaise related to a flu shot is medications you are taking, and I just happen to be taking some of those medications.  Well, Lucy, "that splains a lot".    I confess I was glad to learn my after-effects of the flu shot the last two years was not all in my head.  Whew!

So, how come nobody ever tells you, there might be times in your life when unexplained physical things happen and it's okay.  It's not imagined, it's mysterious, and surprisingly real, though it's not something you like to talk about because, frankly, people think you're nuts. 

I have to thank the Internet, my nurse neighbor, and my own internal biology for helping me come to grips with my discovery that I'm not just some old lady wacko.  I can deal with and live with my Malaise, if it comes this year.  Because I now know I'm not crazy and the condition is temporary. 

Malaise

A generalized feeling of discomfort, illness or lack of well being.  Fatigue occurs and can be accompanied by a feeling of not having enough energy to accomplish usual activities.  Interaction with various medications can also bring on and cause Malaise.  

So, if you call some day, and I'm a grumpy bear, sigh a lot, and sound weepy.  It's all good, I'm just having a Malaisey kind of day.  I'll get over it, eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment