Sunday, December 30, 2012

Determination

Frankie:  "We're going to start this morning."
Me:  "I don't want to."
Frankie:  "But, you promised."
Me:  "Don't care."
Frankie:  "Come on.  It won't be that bad."
Me:  "Oh, yes it will."

Frankie, full of determination tries to drag me away from the computer.

Frankie:  "The sooner we start, the sooner we'll get done."

I force myself deeper into the chair, and lock my arms around the arms of it.  I'm determined, too.

Frankie:  "I swear, I'm going to dump you out of there."
Me:  "Good luck with that."  I weigh substantially more than her, there's no way she can extricate me from my artificial leather island.

She makes some kind of monster-ific growling sound and leaves the room.

I know, I'm a terrible person.  I've been promising for a week to take down all the Christmas decorations, and though I didn't put up all that I could have, I look around and see it is going to be an all day job to put everything away.

When my grandson, Marcus, posted on Facebook earlier in the week he wanted to come for a visit on Saturday.  I told Frankie we would have to wait until after his visit before putting Christmas in boxes until next year...aha...a reprieve.

Well, that visit has come and gone, so Frankie was like white on rice wanting me to dress and get busy stowing the holidays away.

But...I...don't...want...to.  The job seems overwhelming.  Every year I tell myself there is no need to decorate the whole house...I do.  Every year I tell myself I am  not going to purchase any new ones...I do.  Every year I tell myself there is no need to go through all the boxes...I do, even thought the box is clearly labeled 'no longer in use.'  Shoot, there might be something good in that one that would look nice, here, there or anywhere.

For instance, I have a styro-foam Santa, that is close to fifty years old, I've had to replace his red Christmas ball nose several times...each year...I am not getting him out...each year I do.  I have two very, very heavy, old, large, Christmas balls that my mother had on their tree when she was a child.  And even though I fear they might get broken, each year they are placed on my tree...how could I not.  I love opening the boxes, looking at the treasures, and even though some of them never leave their box, how could I not.

For Frankie, enough is enough..she is insistent and full of determination that we put the holidays away ...today...I don't want to, because it seems like such a chore.  However, truth be told...it is not so much it is going to be a chore...it's more that it dredges up a melancholy of Christmases past, all wrapped in tissue paper, neatly packed and stored.  It is memories of Christmas present, crinkled wrappings, leftovers, hugs and kisses.  It is anticipation of Christmas future...old decorations once more brought out of tissue and time...

...
...
...

...  Me:  "Okay Frankie, I'm coming...where do you want to start."

Time to drag out new boxes full of snowmen, teddy-bears, icicles and snow flakes to decorate the house for winter.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE.






No comments:

Post a Comment