Tuesday, December 18, 2012

I'm conflicted

Last night before I went to bed I watched the late news.  The broadcasters were 'all a twitter' that there might be snow overnight.

My first thought was 'bummer'.

Slept through the night.

My first thought this morning was 'please, oh, please, don't let there be snow out there'.

I literally forcefully, yank the drapes open.

There's snow.  I see it on my neighbor's roof.  Carefully, almost dreadfully, I pull the curtains apart.

Yes, there is snow on the roofs, some of the shrubs, and on the grass.  It is a beautiful, magical scene.  I think I'm glad it snowed.

Whew, the sidewalk is bare. That is a relief.  I do enjoy shoveling snow...at least I used to, but now...not so much.

My husband had a thing about snow filled sidewalks and driveways.  He worked in the insurance business and understood the liability aspects of accidents that can happen on one's property, and was persistent that I keep the sidewalk and driveway clear of snow.  He worked all day, I was at home, so shoveling was simply part of my activities.  Besides, I grew up in the mountains of Pennsylvania, so I know all about snow.

For more years than I can remember, I had to use a heavy, metal, garden shovel to keep everything 'plowed'.  It was hard labor.  But, I loved the cold, I loved the work, and I loved that my dogs loved being outside with me.  I would make snowballs they would chase around the yard, and try to catch mid air.  It was fun.

Finally, a few years before Paul passed away, he bought me an actual snow shovel. It is light weight, has a huge plastic scoop, with sides that sweep outward, so I can use it like a snow plow and push the snow from the garage door to the street gutter in a fell-swoop.  It is a great shovel.

Then.

I got old.

Oh, I still shovel the snow, cause, I don't want some delivery guy to slip, fall and break his butt on the way to my door, but, the joy, fun, and sweet smelling winter air no longer entice me to enjoy the labor.

So, you can see my conflict.  Through the eyes of a child, I love the snow...bring it on Old Man Winter.

Through the eyes of a Rambling Old Woman....'ppppbbbbbbttttttt'.


2 comments:

  1. as long as I don't have to get out in it, or it doesn't stick, I'm ok with it....sort of. I'm a Texas girl! We didn't get snow, we got ice and that stuff is lethal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love me some snow!!!!! I don't consider it a real snow unless there's at least 9" of it. And seriously? It's December 18th and we STILL don't have any snow.

    ReplyDelete