Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Things they never tell you

My daughter Pam, and I were out Monday morning.  We both had lab work that needed to be done, and I also needed to get my flu shot.

The clinic was all a bustle, and the line up for the lab was quite lengthy.  Fortunately we were able to get two seats together, and (as is so like our outings) we find things about which we can get silly.

I happened to mention I had to clip my toe nails over the weekend, and I said to her.  "How come nobody ever tells you that a day will come when you can no longer swing your foot up onto the knee of the other leg in order to trim your nails?"  I then proceed to demonstrate, I can still swing my right foot onto my left knee, and then show how it is impossible for me to do the same with my left foot to the right knee.  We realize I look absurd, and we both have a good, hardy laugh.

After our commotion dies down, in a very serious tone she says:   "Why don't you just put your foot up on the toilet seat, that way all you have to do is lean over."

HUH?

It is like she is speaking a foreign tongue.  I kind of sit there for a few seconds taking that last statement in.  In my mind I'm visualizing this might actually work.  Toilet, definitely the right height, I'm not tall by any means, so I can see me bending at the hips, allowing my tummy flab to rest against my thigh and easily reaching my toes, even the one that cried, 'wee, wee, wee, all the way home'.  Plus, and this is huge, on the days my vertigo is not too bad, I can still balance on one leg, so falling onto the corner of the sink, or the linen cabinet that sits in the corner is not very probable.

I'm now so intrigued I wish I was home so I could try this out.

I finally sputter that I think that is a terrific idea and will definitely try that next time my tootsies need a clip.

How come I never think of solutions to my mundane problems is a question I frequently ask myself, and, how come nobody ever tells you there is often a simple answer to life's perplexing quandaries...especially on the day you are shocked looking in the mirror and wondering who that 'rambling old woman' is looking back at you.

So, I have made it my mission to report to you all the things that are going to sneak up on you as you mature, and my blog is the vessel from which I will exude my gems of wisdom, it is a duty and obligation to keep you informed of all the things that nobody else is going to tell you.


No comments:

Post a Comment