Saturday, May 25, 2013

Brooooommm, broooooommmm, zoom, zoom.

Tomorrow is race day.  My most favorite Sunday of the whole year.  I just got done printing out the starting grid.  Same rule applies folks...don't call me til after the race is over, I'll be home, but I won't be answering the phone...leave a message, I'll get back to you.

I imagine most people don't understand my interest in auto racing since I don't drive and never have.  But, I think that's exactly why I have such an interest.  There is something magical about watching someone drive a vehicle in perfect precision and control especially at the high rate of speed these professionals do.

No, I do not watch the race for the pile-ups and crashes...I watch for the skill, the risk, the camaraderie, the style, the grace, and of course the speed.  That amazing, heart-thumping, lung filling, adrenaline flowing, speed.  Oh, and the sounds, the hum, the roar, the buzz of those engines as they roar (zip) by.  I'm telling you...for the few hours the race is on I'm on the edge of my seat. 

I'd love to be in the pace car.  I'd love to be at the race.  I'd love to kiss the bricks. 

I love the pomp and circumstance before the race.  The fly by/over, Jim Nabors singing "Back home In Indiana", and the words, "Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines."

The whole thing is totally entrancing.  I'm so looking forward to it.  I never tire of watching.  Two of the men are trying for their fourth win at Indy, it would be nice if one of them did, however, I'd really, kind of like to see a woman take the flag for the first time. 

Really, though, I just want to see a good, clean race, with few mishaps, good luck everybody and God's speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment