Wednesday, May 15, 2013

My blood is boiling!

Where did I leave my soapbox?  I need it this morning.

Today I have no choice but to pay what is called the ARTS TAX.  I didn't vote for it, I simply don't vote for anything that makes my taxes go up.  And frankly, feel once you reach 75,  you shouldn't have to pay taxes anymore, period.  Believe me, over the years my late husband and I have paid our fair share, probably even more.

So when the city ARTS TAX appeared on the scene, it really got my dander up.  I got to thinking back to when our kids were in school and how when 'field trips' came up it was up to us to pay the fees for the outings.  Fortunately, we were always able to scrimp by, and afford to send the kids on the trips by forgoing items from our shopping budget.  It was not easy, but we managed.  Which is why this particular tax has really ticked me off. 

My feeling is, if the schools still want to do 'the arts' it should be up to the parents to supply the fee amounts, just like we did.  If the schools now feel it is to expensive to do 'the arts' then it should be the schools so simply say...we can no longer do this and drop 'the arts'.  TAXING 'the people' to provide 'the arts' is simply wrong, wrong, wrong.  Especially for those of us who are on limited incomes, and are being taxed to death to begin with.

Anyway, today, as a good citizen, I paid the tax (on-line as requested on the reminder postcard I got in the mail).  Things were going swimmingly.  I was filling out the form.  I got slightly ticked, when they asked for the last four digits of my Social Security number (I thought no one could ask for that anymore), but figured well, it is after all taxes...and everybody knows anyone asking for taxes thinks they are omnipotent...so who are we to question...I supplied those figures.

I moved along.  Provided my credit card information, and then...

down...

close to the bottom...

of the page...

I was told there would be a


CONVENIENCE FEE OF 0.99

WHAT???????????????

Not only do I have to pay the damn tax...that I didn't vote for in the first place...they are charging me an additional fee to do so. 

Man...now I'm really, really, really ticked.  I'm racking my brain...who's home...who can I call, I need to blow off a lot of steam...I call my sister...thank goodness she is home...by the time we are done talking I've calmed down quite a bit. 

No, wait...I've not calmed down at all.  How can I show my displeasure?  I notice in very, very, tiny print almost falling off the bottom of my 'printable' receipt there is
an e-mail address.  I shoot off a testy e-mail to ARTS TAX people.  Now I feel better!

But call my sister again and tell her, if she happens to get a call from a lawyer that I've been arrested to please pay my bail...she can use my credit card.  I wonder how much of a convenience fee that will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment