Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Who knew?

Ever since company this weekend I've been trying to 'get my groove back on'.  Who knew doing nothing could be addictive?  I had not a clue.

Sunday afternoon my sister and I were lounging...literally...lounging in my living room when the discussion began about when we had ever taken a day off and had done absolutely nothing.  She is mumble, mumble years old, and I'm (of course) even older, and neither of us could think of one single, solitary time we gone chore less.  Can that be true?  Even when we came home from hospitals after having babies we jumped into our regular routines and worked, if you remember, by the '70's a woman giving birth didn't stay in the hospital long; and, I don't know about you, but I don't count labor and delivery as having a 'do nothing' kind of day.

Anyway, we were shocked and appalled we could not think of a single day when we had allowed ourselves to do nada, zilch, bumpkiss, diddly-squat, jack, zippo.  So, we grabbed blankets, pillows and drew our puppies in close, and spent the day watching one of our favorite cable channels Investigation Discovery.  Some of the shows we  had seen before, but like Clark Gable in Gone With the Wind...we didn't give a dam.  Oh, we did rouse ourselves for potty breaks and food, but I swear, other than that...we barely moved (I wonder...is this what heaven is going to be like?).  Occasionally we would turn our heads to see if one or the other of us had dozed off, and inquire "Are you asleep?"  Geeze, even conversation seemed to much a chore.

I'm telling you, it was amazing...and the most important thing was neither of us felt the slightest remorse or guilt we were in the throes of complete and utter 'do-nothing-ness'...it was amazing.  This was definitely something a person could get used to.

Big question was, could I?

Scary thing is...I think I could, because here it is Wednesday, and I'm still having a hard time getting back into my old routine.  Chores now have even less value than they did even a few weeks ago, and the fact I learned I could actually close my eyes while it is still daylight out and have nothing 'bad' happen continues to fascinate and delight me.

Okay, I know I could never, ever lapse into the land of permanent 'do nothing-ness' I would be bored out of my gourd.  But, I've gotta say, that one day was out of this world.


No comments:

Post a Comment