Thursday, January 2, 2014

Am I blue?

I have to say, this weather is getting me under it.  My favorite people (meteorologists) told me yesterday last year was the fifth driest since records have been kept at our local airport.  Oh, I believe them this time, because I live here and have first hand knowledge that is a true statement.  This has me just a tad spooked.  I don't like that we don't have rain this time of year, no I don't like it at all. 

I like when the temperatures flux between ten to twelve degrees every day, between the mid thirties to mid forties.  I get that, it means there will be lots of cloudy, drizzly days, and some days with downpours.  That's normal!  That's acceptable!  That's likable!

What I don't like is no rain, unusual temperature fluxes, and inversions that cause stagnant air up and down the valley.  No siree bub, I don't like those a bit.  And, as for the lack of snow on the mountains, that situation is bleak, terribly bleak, as far as the ski season goes.  We have a lodge here that puts up a metal tunnel in front of their entrance, that (by this time of Winter) becomes covered with feet and feet of snow.  Last week a news crew showed the front of the lodge, and there is no snow covering the tunnel...not one bit.  No snow means no spring and summer water run-off for the rivers, and that means no water for the local reservoirs, and that means possible drought conditions next summer.  It could get ug---ly!

Finally, and don't get me wrong, I like the fog, I truly do, but I have to say, the fog has been pretty strange this year, too.  When I pull the drapes shut at bedtime, the fog is already hovering around the street lights, and in the morning, it is still blanketing the trees, chimneys and roofs of the houses here in the neighborhood, day after dreary day.  Not only that, it is extending up and down the valley, impeding traffic along the interstate highway.  It's all...well...weird. 

All I want is normal.  Am I blue?  Yes, yes I am.

I wish, instead of the edjucated metrolgists boasting how 'right they are' in predicting what's going to happen in the next seven days, they would put their energies into convincing people our planet is in serious, serious trouble. That we need to do something serious, serious to clean up the atmosphere and get back on track in making good old earth livable again, not just for us, but for our four legged friends like polar bears, pandas, lizards, birds and even snakes, too. 

In other words, bring on the rain...bring on the mountain snow...bring on the 'funk'...bring on the blue.




No comments:

Post a Comment