Saturday, January 18, 2014

I'm f-f-f-f-f-reezing

Da-gone-it.

I'm cold...I'm really, really, REALLY tire of being cold.  Last winter I can't recall more than two mornings I woke up to a very frosty morning.  Yesterday along my front yard sidewalk small patches of frost hung around all day.  This morning there is another heavy frost.  It  looks as though we might have had a dusting of snow overnight, but it is only frost.  Depending on how quickly the fog lifts, some of last night's frost might be around all day.

But, I have to confess, it has been wonderful seeing a January moon.  On the clear nights it has been rising above the trees exactly where my morning room sky light windows are.  Against the windows frames it seems huge.  During program commercial breaks, I dash out and look up, it is an amazing sight.  Living in the Pacific Northwest, during the winter months we seldom have the opportunity to see the moon, planets and stars at all....period.  So the fact I got to see the December full moon, and an almost full moon this January is quite extraordinary, now, if I could just get rid of the cold.

Wouldn't you think with all my blubber, I would not be bothered by the chill?  I contemplate that quite a bit.  I've heard (and this is one of those things people never tell you) that as you age a person is not as active, and therefore more prone to lethargy, and as a result, your blood is not 'pumping' hard enough to keep your surface capillaries hot and steamy. 

So, last night while I was snuggling under my afghan with Zorro, and my fireplace was pumping out heat-the best it could-I was still cold.  My piggies, encased in two pair of socks and a pair of slippers were cold, as were my fingers. Let's face it, I was chilled almost to the bone.  I was disgusted with the cold.

My little basket of exercise 'stuff' was in its corner, sad and lonely, untouched...for months.  The dust on top of the equipment seemed disgusted with me.  I looked at the basket, I looked at me...I WAS DISGUSTED, I TELL YOU I WAS DISGUSTED.

Guess what I did?

I actually got out from under the cover, walked over to the basket, took out my three pound weights and sat up straight on the edge of the sofa and did various 'lifts' with those weights.  For about ten minutes, I worked my arms, up, down, all around...

Da-gone-it.

I warmed right up!!!! And!!!!! I woke right up!!!!! 

I felt good...really, really good. 

I put the weights away, no sense in over-doing this, I thought ten minutes was a pretty good start.  Suddenly I didn't want to get under the afghan again.  So, I turned off the television, checked the moon one last time, and headed for the office.

I made some merchandise for my store, and then decided to exercise my brain and spent some time at Lumosity, where I played some mental games for a while. 

I had a da-gone great evening.

They say you have to work at something for a month before you've created a habit.  I wonder if I can do that?  All I know is, it felt good to exercise.  It felt especially good to be warm from a natural high.  Can I become that little train that could?

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment