Saturday, January 4, 2014

I want to talk about beds,

or at least about making them.

What has always been a puzzlement to me is how and why people do not make their beds every morning.  Seriously, how in the world are you able to leave your bedroom with the sheets and all those blankets in a jumble?  I confess, even the thought of that drives me crazy.  Any, why, for heaven sakes do you do that?

I mean, there you are at the side of the bed, maybe stretching your muscles, or maybe even scratching you butt, give yourself a quarter or half turn, and you're facing the bed, reach over, pull up, and straighten the sheet and blankets.  There, you are half way done.  All you have to do is walk around the foot of the bed, turn on your blinker, make a right, or left turn, another quarter turn and taaa, daaaa.  You've pulled up the sheet and covers on the other side of the bed.

Next, you put the pillows in place, and throw up the bed spread, (or whatever you call the thing that covers the blankets and pillows and you're done... in less than half a minute your bed in made. 

How hard can it be?  I suspect you have yourselves convinced you don't have the time, or that you were brought up not to have to make your bed, so it's 'what's the big deal kind of thing'.  That's okay....I guess....still, I simply don't get it.

As a kid, it was part of our morning routine that we didn't leave our bed room without making the bed.  We would wait our turn for the bath room, wash, dress, and MAKE THE BED.  Then head for the kitchen and breakfast.

My own kids had a similar routine.  They got up, waited for their turn in the bath room, (folded their towels, took their personal items, and left the room in perfect order for the person who came next) and finally they made their beds before leaving their rooms.  It was by no means a punishment, it was showing respect for themselves, for anyone who happened to come home with them after school, and for me. 

It wasn't that I made them change the linens every week.  That was my job and I did it with love and respect for them.  Every Friday I dusted and vacuumed their rooms.  The rule was simple...if you want it, put it where it belongs...if you don't come Friday, it will be thrown away.  I never had a problem with neat and tidy rooms. 

Oh, they may have talked about me behind my back...they probably did...I didn't and today don't care if they did or not.  I was the parent, they were the kid, and it was my job to teach them responsibility.  And, so it went for many, many years.

Anyway, back to the beds and the making thereof.  Personally, I like a made bed.  It makes me feel good to enter my room any time during the day and find things in place.  I like knowing come bedtime, I can pull down the spread, fold back the sheet and blankets and slip in between them, and cover up to my neck in comfort and warmth.  And even though the sheets may not have been changed that day, the fact they are not rumpled from my morning exit, there is the illusion that I cared enough about myself, to at least have gotten rid of the wrinkles, and made sure there were no pajamas or damp bath room towel to extract before I could (lay/lie) down. 

I know I'm not going to change anybody with this blog, that's not why I wrote it.  I'm simply saying...I don't get you.  I've had lots of folks explain to me why it does not matter to them the bed is unmade.  They are indeed busy, they (frankly) don't give a damn, they were never were told they were required to, therefore, it doesn't matter.  And, finally, the best excuse ever "the bed was made for sleeping, not making". Whatever!

Let me ask you this, how does your spouse, partner, housemate, roommates feel about your bed making choice?  Have you ever inquired?  Is that choice a source of
discord?  Are you compatible?  Are you both neat and tidy, or messy and unkempt?  Little stuff like this matters if you are just starting out, choose wisely my friend...making a bed or not making it can cause a 'whole heap of trouble'.

My bed has been made since 7:30 this morning, has yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment