Monday, January 27, 2014

I'm going out on a limb

I know this is going to sound 'nuts', but I'm going to write this anyway.

Yesterday I was in the pits...I was at the bottom of the ocean, sucking mud.  Today I'm much better.  But, I've been thinking.

You know how people (whoever they are) have been telling us that weather can affect our moods.  I think that might be true.

I've been living here in the Pacific Northwest for decades now, and my body has (I'm pretty sure) prepared itself for what the winters are like, and I expect grey skies, weeks of rain, long lasting downpours, off and on showers, and drizzle, lots and lots of drizzle.  My brain tells me this is going to happen and I expect it.  I hum, de-dummm through the cloudy grey months.  I'm okay with that.

This winter has been perhaps one of the strangest I've encountered since moving here.  It has been unusually cold, unusually dry, unusually foggy, but most of all unusually sunny.  Yes, I said that strange winter word...sunny.

I think the sun has screwed up my psyche, which according to my 'big book',  is "1. relig. HUMAN SPIRIT the human spirit or soul.  2. phychol. HUMAN MIND the human mind as the center of thought and behavior."

I'm talking about #2 as in the sun has messed with my winter thought and behavior.  I think my mind has convinced my thought and behavior it is summer.  It should be warm and I should be outside not stuck indoors.

As a result my physical body wants, yearns to be outside soaking up that natural, wonderful warmth, and vitamin D, and my mind is telling me I should be doing that. 
All the while my common sense is saying "That's ridiculous...it's cold, too damn cold to be outside...get a grip old woman."  Hence, my conflict.  I'm really screwed up. 

I need help.

I think help just might be on the way.  Because I was thrilled to see clouds when I opened my drapes this morning. 

I think I've mentioned here I am trying to wean myself away from all those edjukated meterolgists on the television, who precisely tell me what to expect and when, only to be disappointed again and again.  So much so that I've decided to go with the visual, 'what I sees, is what I gets'.  However, I do check the weekly, very brief weather reviews on my favorite Internet weather site a couple mornings a week. 

This morning was I pleased to see a string of those cute, puffy, grey clouds with rain drops falling out of them, they tell me I can (perhaps) expect lots and lots of grey skies, and chances of showers on and off over the week, whoop, whoop

Geeze, you've no idea how I hope they are right, cause my psyche wants normal, it needs normal winter weather; although a good stiff drink might give it a boost, too.

And, there you have it.  My wacky theory about my craziness of late.  Has the strange weather in your neck of the woods been making you a bit wacky, too?  Let me know, would you?  Maybe I'll write a thesis about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment