Thursday, January 9, 2014

What do you know?

Well, color me surprised.

Yes, I'm always surprised when my Winter House Guest appears, as though from out of nowhere. 

It was on the warm side this morning, outside, temperature-wise (44 degrees), and as a result it was just a tad warmer inside my house as well.  I guess it was the 'spring like' warmth that had my house guest up and about early this morning. 

I caught sight of him/her as I was about ready to exit the bathroom, he/she was slowly crawling up my bedroom drape.  A second later CC caught sight of him/her as well.  Oh, dear!  I immediately tried to distract kitty from her intense stare at (I guess I'm going to have to come up with a name for my guest) (I think Bobby will do) Bobby, by squeaking out "kitty, kitty, kitty" in my best mouse sounding voice.

Fortunately, this brought Zorro on a run, and that sent CC leaping to the top of one of my chest of drawers. 

I watched Bobby slowly meander up the drape wondering where my house guest was going.  As long as Bobby was out of CC's reach I felt comfortable in letting him/her continue his/her voyage.  I finished dressing and left the room, cat and dog following close behind.

One question continues to plague me, how does this creature survive?  I've never put out food for it, and its choice of plant materials are confined to my avocado tree, three jades, two trumpets, two geraniums, and an elephant ears plant in the sun room.  And, none of them show any signs of having their leaves chewed upon.  I tell you it's a marvel and a mystery.  Maybe Bobby survives by chewing on whatever is entangled in the dust bunnies under my bed.  Lord only knows what's in those.

Anyway, if you want a low maintenance house guest, I can certainly recommend a Shield Bug.  They come and go, are very quiet, not intrusive, and are very well behaved, and best of all they don't expect to be entertained.  I simply let Bobby in at fall, and will let Bobby out come spring, in between, we occasionally meet in quite unusual places, at quite unusual times, exchange pleasantries and then go along our ways.

I just went to check on Bobby, and after close inspection of the drapery, I discovered he/she has once more vanished.  I've no doubt, when I least expect it, Bobby will show up, somewhere. 

I just hope it's not left-overs from a CC snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment