Friday, January 3, 2014

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so angry I could spit tacks.

Every year....every dang year, my computer goes whack-o in January.  Always in the first week, and always leaving me in turmoil trying to get things back to the way they were.

Last night it happened ...  again ... ... ... ...

I was checking out the cameras in Times Square, because I wanted to see and watch the snow fall.  I was having a ball. There were guys trying to shovel the snow off the plaza and steps, and town folk and travelers were walking about, some snapping pictures.  It was wonderful, it was beautiful, it was exciting.

Then I remembered there are cameras on Fifth Avenue as well.  And, since it is not nearly as busy I decided to check out those, too. Oh, the scene was so magical, right out of a Hollywood movie set.  I was enthralled.

All of a sudden, my screen went black.  (It seemed like forever.)  Then I got a message in huge white letters that my computer had detected a problem and was going to "shut down".  Uh-oh.

It did...that sucker clicked off quicker than I can snap my fingers.

I sat there in terror.

Frankie heard me scream and came running.  She tried to encourage me to "let it go", "go to bed", "tackle the problem in the morning". 

I could have and I probably should have.  But, I couldn't.  With gravest depredation I turned the computer on.  I got that dreaded screen telling me I could turn the computer on in SAFE MODE only.  Which I did.  Damn, that is so scary.

Anyway, after a very, very long time, literally hours...yes, literally, I got my computer mostly back to normal.  I was able to move around the Internet, and get back into my computer programs. 

This morning I'm still getting some error messages that tell me certain files are missing, and I've got to try to get them back.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to set a new recovery time to early yesterday morning, when my computer was working well.
I hate having to do that, cause I never know for sure that's going to work the way I want it to, and maybe I'm going to open a whole new 'can of worms'...that shouldn't happen...but it might...it certainly could...and maybe will.

Sigh.

So if things go amok and you don't hear from me for a while, just know I'm at war with my computer and I'll be back as soon as I can.

Damn computer, damn January....mutter, mutter, mutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment