Friday, June 22, 2012

Ah, the good old days

Today I am filled with reminiscent, brought on when I threw a slab of Velveeta cheese on top of my cinnamon bun.  The sweet/salty thing is something I've always, ALWAYS enjoyed.  Oh, that cinnamon bun was delicious.

This in turn brought on the memory of Chipped Beef that still comes in those cute little glasses.  Just the right size for morning juice. As a kid one of my favorite meals was when mom would put the chipped beef in a skillet, fry it up a little, then make a cream sauce to pour over it.  That made a chipped beef gravy that we would pour over toast.  We simply called it chipped beef on toast.  But, I learned when I grew up the the guys in the Service not so fondly called it S--t on a Shingle.  However, I occasionally make the gravy for myself, and still find it an enjoyable meal.  Especially if I have a big, fat, dill pickle on the side.

Then I remembered cereal.  We certainly didn't have aisles, and aisles you find in the stores today.  But, we did have Wheaties, Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat and Cheerios.  Mostly we had Wheaties and Cheerios.  Once, my mom heard of a new way to serve Cheerios, and she surprised us one afternoon with a new treat. She melted some butter, then poured it all over a bowl of Cheerios.  Oh my goodness, we were in heaven.  Good stuff, good stuff.  I'm tempted to buy some Cheerios and make some, but what the heck would I ever do with the left-over box of cereal. I know it would go to waste.  I could give it to the birds, but Bird Lady ruined that a year ago.

Lastly, (and you are not going to believe this one)  I thought about liver and onions.  Growing up we were required to eat everything mom prepared for our meals.  I learned to eat, and actually enjoy a good meal of liver and onions.  True sometimes she cooked it to death, and it was tough, however she did smother both meat and onions in butter and THAT folks made it most palatable.  Of course, by the time my youngest sister appeared on the scene, she decided she absolutely could not eat liver...much less fried onions, so that my mother would prepare her tomato soup on those occasions.  (I can't tell you how angry that used to make me.)

Anyway, there are not many restaurants that prepare that particular dish any more, and when I find one that does I guarantee I order it.  Generally it will come with mashed potatoes and onion gravy and green beans.  I mean to tell you, it takes me back...way, way, back.

No wonder I had a problem with my cholesterol when I grew up.  For years I was very, very good at keeping that yucky stuff under control.  And, Frankie, God bless her, tries to keep me on track.  Sometimes she succeeds, sometimes not.  Like this morning when I had a slab of Velveeta Cheese on my cinnamon bun. Or, last night when I poured some original Frito's on a paper plate and smothered them in Velveeta, too.
Sooo delicious.

I know, I know, I chastise myself all the time...here again, I think the Devil makes me do these things.  Know what?  I DON'T CARE.

No comments:

Post a Comment