Thursday, June 28, 2012

Today's lesson...History

Keep reading I promise you will not be bored.  Frankie says I shouldn't post this, but I'm gonna' anyway.

As some of you might know I've been down with a cold for several days and have had little energy to do much of anything except breathe.  So, I've been laying around, A LOT.

Yesterday I finally began to feel better, I showered, dressed, but still did little.  So, this morning I'm thinking to myself...'Do I really need to shower again today...I didn't even sweat yesterday, how dirty can I really be?'

Then I remembered I had read somewhere that in Early Colonial Days, most families bathed once a week.  Father got the hottest water by going first.  Mom went second, (I imagine the water was still warm); following her were the children by age.  Finally, the youngest came last.  I (can't) begin to imagine how cold and dirty the water was by the time it was his/her turn.  Yuck.  Hence came the old saying "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."

Now, I don't know if what I'm going to write next is something THEY did, but during the summer while I was growing up, my dad would have my mom keep the water in her laundry tubs so he could bucket it out to his garden to keep the plants a-growin'.  I imagine, the Colonists didn't let their bath water go to waste either. I'm pretty sure it went out to their garden.

But, I digress.

Anyway...I remember reading somewhere, that Colonists, (Including the likes of Benjamin Franklin) would start their day by taking an 'air bath'.  Good ole' Ben, would strip naked and allow his entire body to breathe in the early morning air.  When I first learned of this practice I was disgusted, appalled.

Then...hmmmmmm......

What had I done to get dirty yesterday?  Nothing, absolutely nothing.  So this morning..guess..what..I..did?

Yep, I did, I really did.  Oh my goodness.  I could feel the germs fleeing, I could feel my body healing.  True, it was a bit chilly, but it felt wonderful.  Finally I cleaned my armpits and 'nether-lands' and began to dress; I literally was refreshed.  I think our Fore-fathers were on to something.

I know, I know, this sounds crazy, and you are probably disgusted, too.  And, possibly I am ready for the loony bin, if you thinks so, come get me, maybe I do need help.

Just remember I said this is a history lesson!!!!!!  So, I hope you cut me some slack.  However, I can't promise you I will not ever air bathe again.

"Okay, Frankie, you can come out now.  I'm dressed."

No comments:

Post a Comment