Saturday, June 30, 2012

Housewives of New York

I don't know if you watch this show or not;  HOUSEWIVES OF NEW YORK, I find it fascinating, I guess because I am so infatuated with NYC, and the back drop to this show is amazing.  However, these women live in such a 'Rose-colored World' their survival in the real world is very, VERY doubtful.  (Of course...I would love to be one of them...is that sad or what?)

That said, Frankie caught me this morning doing something one of the Housewives does on the show, except with a different appliance than my microwave.  Her name is Sonja and she relies heavily on her toaster-oven to prepare most of her meals...well, I suspect all of them...while dining out with friends takes up the slack.

Sonja is in the process of writing a cook book with recipes she has concocted for her oven, which include meals for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even parties.  Wow.  I always thought this woman was very, very....what's good word...creative...unique...unequaled in her imagination when it comes to the ingredients she uses.  Leave it to Frankie to point out I am becoming just like good ole' Sonja.

Here's the thing.

Yesterday my neighbor brought me a small container filled with some raspberries, strawberries and spring peas.  I was not ready to eat them, but did not want them to spoil, so...I dumped the berries into a small glass container, added some sugar, crumbled and mixed in a few graham crackers and put the container in my microwave.  A delicious smell brought Frankie to the kitchen wondering what I was cooking.
She stood quietly by.

When the berry mixture was done cooking.  I dumped the spring peas into a glass bowl, added a tiny bit of Italian Dressing, mixed them together and threw them into the microwave just long enough to steam the peas.   I'm going to warm them up this evening for our dinner.

By now Frankie can no longer contain herself, and tells me I've turned into Sonja, and wants to know when I'm going to come out with a cookbook, pointing out that 'of late' my meal preparations have become creative, unique...unequaled in anyone's imagination.  (I think she's referring to my breakfast of oyster crackers, peanut butter, jelly and banana.)  Okay, I agree that was wwwaaaayyy over the top.

I think Frankie is right... I'm seriously going to consider a cookbook.  I'm going to call it:

 "I Ain't Cookin' No Mores'...Two Minute Meals"
              (Eat this or fend for yourself)


Thanks, Sonja, you've been a real inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment