Saturday, June 2, 2012

Pills, pills, pills

Me:  "You done?"
Frankie seems to be at a loss for words.

Me:  This morning got off to a rocky start...I don't take a lot of pills (thank goodness) and those I do I kind of spread out over the day...my mental process is they might interact with each other making me loopier than I already am...which would be a bad thing.  Don't you think?

Here's how this morning's pill taking went.

Frankie:  "Geeze!'
Me:  (Standing at the kitchen counter pill bottle at arm's length) "Now what?"
Frankie:  "Where's your glasses?"
Me:  "In the bedroom on the night stand."  (I like to believe I don't have to rely on them for everything)
Frankie:  "Can you really read that label?"  
Me:  "No, not really, but I do know the prescription names for my hormones are long while my morning pills are not.  That's how I make out the difference."
Frankie:  "For crying out loud."  (She leaves the room)  I  know she's going for my glasses.

I hurriedly scan the bottoms of the labels, dump out the pills, recognize by size, shape and color they are indeed the correct ones and down them with a mouthful of water, just as Frankie returns.

Frankie:  "Put 'em on and leave 'em on?"
Me:  "Don't need them, I've already taken the pills."

Frankie is in a 'snit', and I have to hear the sermon about how important it is for me to take care of my eyes..."You only have two, ya know." ...on and on she goes.

I hate when she takes on the 'mother' role.  That's supposed to be my job.  I like when she's the one being flighty, free, inquisitive, adventurous so I have to reign her in from time to time.  Surely I'm not as needy as she thinks I am.  Next thing you know she'll be holding me by the elbow when we are on shopping excursions, and tucking me under the covers at night.  Oh, lordy, lordy is that an ugly picture or what?  I hope our roles aren't reversing.

She finally takes a breath.

Dear, dear Frankie...at our age we both know old is not pretty, but we can't give in to it.  We need to change the rules...take chances, make changes...laugh in the face of danger...keep on the track, but go full steam ahead.  So what if I can no longer read the labels on my pill bottles, except at arm's length, the important thing is...I can still read."





1 comment:

  1. I wish I could even read mine at arms length! All I know is short names vs long names. Who knows what I'm taking.

    ReplyDelete