Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Chapter Seven Selling House

Okay, yesterday was kind of a bummer...I wrote on facebook that my house got a very bad review, and that did hurt my feelings, I wanted to cry, and frankly...give up.

It said the interior of my house was 'poor' the exterior was 'poor', and it was 'chopped up', BUT did have good square footage for the price.

Do these people not know the time and labor I've put into this experience, and how excited I was to be having this experience?  I guess not.

Anyhooo, after reading that report, I decided to give the clean-up on more shot.  My Realtor had told me the library was too dark and that I needed to pack up books, to open the area up.  And, I have to admit I have been dragging my heels regarding that.  I'm a writer.  I love books.  It's a library, and libraries are supposed to have books.  I know I only had to pack them away, not burn them, but somehow that seemed sacrilegious, and could not bring myself to do it.

But, in order to remove myself from the 'poor' interior status, yesterday I charged ahead.  I had years of Scientific American magazines, they are already gone...recycled....yesterday.  I also had many, many years of National Geographic magazines.  I love, love, love national geographic magazines, it took more than an hour but I personally checked the covers on every single one made two piles and took to the garage years of them for future recycling.  I kept about two dozen of them,  two for Karen that I took articles out of that I know she will like, and for myself their 100th year anniversary copy, all that had articles about Australia, the original one with the wide eyed girl, two about the discovery of Titanic, one about America's anniversary in 1976 and a few more.  Goodbye precious magazines.  Next I tackled books, paperbacks, health saving, time saving, money saving, weight losing fad diets, and others that were clearly about scams. Man, were they heavy.

But, I had emptied more than six shelves, so I began moving my other precious possessions around, hoping that by moving them, it would give the appearance I had removed more than I actually had.  At the end I still had two empty ones.  Paul designed the library to have adjustable shelves, and these two were five feet long, 1x12 boards, that were movable and bracketed to the outside walls of the two floor to ceiling bookcases.

I stood on my office stool and began to unscrew the brackets, the lower brackets were fairly easy to reach, although tippy-toeing was required on the back ones.

Picture me contemplating.  How the heck was I going to remove the brackets higher up.  First, I wondered if I could somehow 'hike' myself up on the top of the credenza, from the stool...but remembered the scene of me trying to right myself from the bathroom floor the night before and realized there might be 'folly' in that.

Shoot, am I going to have to drag the ladder in from the garage.  Seriously...that was my intention.  However on the way to return the stool to the garage, I spy, my kitchen chairs.  I sit the stool down next to one...the chair seat is a few inches higher...that's about all the height I need.  Hmmmmm.

I leave the stool, grab a chair and return to the library.  Da, da.  Perfect fit.  I'm working away, working away.  I'm going to be able to do this, and not get caught not being careful...is this cool or what?

My back is to the door.

"What's ya doin?"

I darn near dropped the screwdriver.  I turn, and there is Frankie.  Damn it.

"Do you have Bonnie on speed dial?"
Me:  "Shut up, and go away."
Frankie:  "Oh, no. This is way too good.  Where's your camera?"
Me:  "I'm perfectly safe, I'm not going to hurt myself or fall."
Frankie:  "I can see the headline now...Stupid old woman falls from chair, breaks hips and legs...more to follow...."

If I were younger I would have jumped off the chair and throttled her.  But, I continued working all the while, and by the time this conversation was done, the last bracket came off the bookcase.  I was so dang proud of myself.  I slowly get down off the chair.

Me: (Fists clenched, arms waving over my head in triumph) Da, da,...da,.......daaaaa, da. Da.

Frankie leaves the room.

Next I tackle the furniture, and move the whole room around.  It looks great.  Frankie refused to come look. But later in the afternoon, I hear Zorro growling from deep in his throat.  I check to see what's up.  He's growling at the new furniture arrangement...apparently he doe not understand what and where everything is. I love that dog to bits. I reassure him everything is okay.

I consider the library re-arrangement a job well done.  Hopefully, my labors will help remove me from the 'poor' status.

However, here's the thing, I would appreciate if you could refrain from mentioning to my family that I was standing on top of a chair to work.  I don't think that would 'sit' well with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment