Sunday, September 23, 2012

So glad to be living now

Let's face it, a lot has happened in my lifetime.  Especially when it comes to electronic gadget-tromity.  (Is there such a word?)

I remember when we all wrote with pencil/pen and paper.  And, actually correctly spelled the words.  I remember short-hand, manual typewriters (I have one), the smell of mimeograph ink,...talk about getting a cheap high...whoa doggies.  I recall taking a typing class in high school, the teacher would cover up the huge picture of the keyboard at the front of the room, so we had to remember which key was where and type like a crazed loon-a-tick.  Am I the only girl in the world that almost failed typing?  I'm still awful at it today, and am so grateful for spell check.

I recall my job at the phone company, every afternoon I had to sit behind a machine called a check-writer.  I would diligently write out checks for venders, companies, even individuals who were overcharged while using a pay phone.  Remember phone booths?

Everything went on paper cards with holes punched it them, so if I made a mistake on a check, I could go to the key punch department and make a new card to correct my error.  It was an amazing time, and very efficient.  Computers filled a whole room, and the room had to be cool because of the heat it generated.

Oh, how times have changed, and I am so thankful I have been here to see the marvels.  I was reminded of this last night, and I believe (for me at least) the most wonderful marvel of all is FACEBOOK, yes, facebook.  I love being able to reach out and touch my family and friends with a single swipe of my computer keyboard.  And I will tell you why and bring this to a close with a conversation I had with my beautiful granddaughter on facebook last night.


I am bored out of my gourd.
Like ·  · 10 hours ago · 


Would have I picked up the phone to call her?  No, I would not have wanted to disturb her so late at night.  Would I have called anybody?  Of course not.  But on facebook, you never know who is going to be there, anytime, from anywhere.  I was comforted that someone was, and that my granddaughter in these few moments, spent some time with me.

I think it was AT&T that once had a commercial that said something like....REACH OUT AND TOUCH SOMEONE.  Thank you facebook...I love I can do that anytime I want.   Hellooooooo, out there.....Hellooooooooo.

No comments:

Post a Comment