Monday, February 17, 2014

Beep...beep...beep

I awoke to an unfamiliar sound.

Beep, beep, beep.

What the heck was that?

It is pitch black in the bedroom, except for a very subtle light that outlines the bedroom window.  I push down on the pillow so I can see the clock on the night stand.  Nothing is glowing there.

Beep, beep, beep.

By now I'm awake enough to realize the beeping is not coming from my smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detector.  And, that we have lost electrical power.

Beep, beep, beep.

Yep, every couple of minutes there's that dang beeping.  I know the power is off, because there is no glow from the clock or the phone.  I mean it's dark. 

Showing great foresight, late last fall I sat one of my LED battery operated lamps on my chest of drawers, 'just in case' of a winter storm power outage.  It seemed like a good spot and I guess at the time I figured in order to reach it I could just roll over grab the lamp and turn it on.  (Forgetting I would have to squash Zorro in the process).

Beep, beep, beep.

Sigh!  So, I get out of bed, walk around it and eventually reach the lamp.

Beep, beep, beep.  Where the H-E-double hockey sticks is that noise coming from? 

By now Zorro is aroused and the two of us begin to explore the house.

Wait a minute!!!  Beep, beep, beep. 

There is an eerie, bluish hue coming from the office.  There is power in there!  The monitor 'sleep mode button' is glowing, so are the buttons the modem.  Has the power come back on?  Nope, the rest of the house is pitch black. 

Beep, beep, beep.  Ah-ha!  The old grey matter suddenly kicks in, and I remember the power to my computer also has a three hour battery pack in it.  The dang thing is telling me so.  I walk over and click the off button.

Zorro and I retreat to our bedchamber and eventually fall into a troubled sleep.  By the time we got up this morning the power had returned.  However, now I've got to go around the house and reset every electrical device that has a built in clock.

Well, at least they aren't going beep, beep, beep.

No comments:

Post a Comment